Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Car on Car Trailer

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
can a car still be defected if its on a car trailer?

its a question thats always puzzled me.

i remember cars being towed from Springs Nats were all gettin done, so people started removing their number plates and rego label. but after talking to a guy that works at vicroads (owns a worked LS1 VL) he told me it cant be defected.

id like to agree with him, but its a proven fact that cars have been defected on a car trailer. i do realize if a car is registered its classed as 'roadworthy' but whats to say it isnt gettin towed to a work shop to be fixed?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Take the plates and rego sticker off just to be sure.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I've heard of people getting defected on the way to Summernats. One story going around is that the RTA/Fuzz ask you to take it off the trailer so they can inspect it and because it's on a public road they're allowed to do it. One way around it was to have the keys travel in a separate car altogether. How true this is is anyone's guess.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Not sure of the exact law on it, but if it was me I'd be taking rego label and plates off.

Mate's racecar is still road registered despite being a 100% racecar, full cage welded in, stripped EVERYTHING etc..NFI why he's keeping rego on it, but to be safe he just takes everything off when he tows it to events.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If its on the trailer it's not on the road. Surely they can only inspect the trailer there's no requirement for the vehicle to be road legal if it's off the road

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
can a car still be defected if its on a car trailer?

its a question thats always puzzled me.

i remember cars being towed from Springs Nats were all gettin done, so people started removing their number plates and rego label. but after talking to a guy that works at vicroads (owns a worked LS1 VL) he told me it cant be defected.

id like to agree with him, but its a proven fact that cars have been defected on a car trailer. i do realize if a car is registered its classed as 'roadworthy' but whats to say it isnt gettin towed to a work shop to be fixed?

I'd think not - My understanding is that the car has to be operated on a public roadway. "Operated" also means parked as you would need to drive it in order to move it. If it is on a trailer then it is clearly not being operated and does not have to be driven (pushed/whatever) to be removed from the roadway. That said, I'd seek proper legal advice and such definitions might change from state to state.

Reaper

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
You can't, it's like towing a car that's broken down or unregod, it's not actually on the road so doesn't count?

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
At the end of the day if a cop has had a bad day and wants to get you he will get you...
I'd be stripping those plates and rego off just to be sure...

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
At the end of the day if a cop has had a bad day and wants to get you he will get you...
I'd be stripping those plates and rego off just to be sure...

Based on that logic you'll get done for no rego etc too. It's either on the road or it isn't.