Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Car on Car Trailer

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
As far as i know, even if a registered car is on a trailer, it can be defected if it's deemed to be unroadworthy.

I've heard this aswell. Pretty stiff to cop that though.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Anybody know which is the relevant act? Easy enough to look it up if I knew which applied.

Reaper

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
man you guys have it ruff over there! Im surprised you cant get a ticket for smiling or enjoying driving!

Over here so long as you dont cut your springs there isn't much else they are too worried about. I expect that to change though, Its illegal to even lower your car without a cert or change your wheels but nobody has ever been done for it. The laws just are not enforced like they are in Aussie.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Regardless of what the law says, if the copper wants to defect he will regardless of the papers u produce

Remove plates and rego label.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
My understanding (which is limited) is that if the car is known to be road registered it can be inspected/defected.. The only thing is if it's on a car trailer the owner can't be fined in anyway for operating an unsafe motor vehicle..
Even stripping the rego off it technically doesn't make it safe from being inspected. But probably makes it less likely that cops will think to check it..

As far as taking it off a trailer so it's on a road? Really from a safety point of view there isn't any room for police to walk around a car on a trailer so it'd have to be on the road for them to inspect it. Also I don't think they'd make you unload a trailer unless it was somewhere very safe to do so (ie: not in the table drain next to a freeway)..

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
You can't, it's like towing a car that's broken down or unregod, it's not actually on the road so doesn't count?

It's not the same thing though, technically, if a car is road registered it's supposed to be roadworthy. So, if it's on a trailer, registered and unroadworthy, it can be defected just the same as it can be if it was being driven.

If a car isn't registered, it doesn't need to be roadworthy so it doesn't matter (drag car, show car etc.).

For the record though, i reckon it's rediculous and you'd be hard pressed to get done for it unless you were going to a car event like Summernats etc. where they are just looking for a reason to defect cars.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
But what if the cars registered but not roadworthy but it's at home and your fixing it. Can they come onto your garage and defect it?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Mabye if they were on your premises for a drug raid or something :p

But, seriously if they had no reason to come on your premises, why would they? However, if you rubbed them up the wrong way for some reason, anything is possible. Like i said, you'd be hard pressed to get done with a car on a car trailer, but it has happened before.

Put it this way, if you were just driving down the road to get something fixed, the chances would be near 0, but if you were at Summernats or something like that i wouldn't put it past them.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
They can't come onto your premises and defect it.
But if it's on the street they can.. And if it's in transit on a car trailer I'm sure they can because if "it's about to get fixed sir" why does it matter of they put a yellow sticker on it to make sure it's fixed fully before it hits the road again..