Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Car on Car Trailer

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Registering a car, in VIC, requires for it to be roadworthy at all times. If it is not roadworthy, it cannont be driven on the roads at all or with the restrictions put forth by a defect notice or temporary permit.

Just because its on a trailer, in your garage or sitting on the moon, the car is still meant to be roadworthy at all times so that it can maintain its registration. The law is designed to be loop hole free so that its always in favour of the legal system.

That is why roadworthy inspections are performed, after that point in time that the agent has reviewed the vehicle, the state which it is in is deemed to be 'roadworthy' must be maintained or it will no longer be suitable for road use. If you don't correct the defect, you loose your registration.

If you removed a brake light bulb to replace it, your car is technically roadworthy and could be issued a minor defect notice. Would a cop ever ping you for that in your garage? no.
If your towing a slammed VL with a 6/71 poking through the bonnet with no CAT converter and a big ass sitcker on the rear window which says "### the POPO", yes, your going to get defected as according to your registration, it should be roadworthy and its not.

Removing your rego and sticker will reduce the risk of a cop knowing that your car is registered however will increase the penalties if your caught eg. Number plates obsucred or missing, No registration label visible etc. etc. Your car needs to meet the requirements of being registered at all times and that includes displaying the plates and stickers in accordance with teh guidelines.

As said, if someone wants to defect you, they will.

aZK.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
So technically you can defected after an accident?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
So technically you can defected after an accident?

if you're talkin about being towed away after an accident, then yeah looks like the ways its worded the cop could defect it.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
I think the point people are missing is:
Yes a defective car can get a yellow sticker if it's on a trailer however;
No you can't get a fine for having a defective car on a trailer as its not being operated..

This gist is as said above.. If you're taking it somewhere to get 'fixed' obviously it's no worry if the police wanna have it checked after its fixed..

So yes they can do it.. Chances they will do it are pretty slim unless you're being a complete ###t to em..

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ok, to hopefully ease up the confusion. i did go to the police station (went to ask about something else) and asked them.

this was the response.
"a car shouldnt be defected if it is on a trailer"
the officer did not say that it cannot be defected though.

so basically it means it shouldnt but doesnt mean it does not happen.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
"a car shouldnt be defected if it is on a trailer"

his respone sounds like hes not 100% either

i should of asked the cops last night as i was at the cop shop too. damn.

was also thinking, if they can defect it on a trailer, that 'should' mean if you remove your number plates and label they can fine you for not displaying both of these.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The answer will be cut and dried. I wouldn't take the word of a Cop one way or the other. We need to find out which act applies in this case. It will be written on the back of any penalty notice/defect sticker. If anybody can find that then we can find the answer.

Reaper

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Registering a car, in VIC, requires for it to be roadworthy at all times. If it is not roadworthy, it cannont be driven on the roads at all or with the restrictions put forth by a defect notice or temporary permit.

Just because its on a trailer, in your garage or sitting on the moon, the car is still meant to be roadworthy at all times so that it can maintain its registration. The law is designed to be loop hole free so that its always in favour of the legal system.

That is why roadworthy inspections are performed, after that point in time that the agent has reviewed the vehicle, the state which it is in is deemed to be 'roadworthy' must be maintained or it will no longer be suitable for road use. If you don't correct the defect, you loose your registration.

If you removed a brake light bulb to replace it, your car is technically roadworthy and could be issued a minor defect notice. Would a cop ever ping you for that in your garage? no.
If your towing a slammed VL with a 6/71 poking through the bonnet with no CAT converter and a big ass sitcker on the rear window which says "### the POPO", yes, your going to get defected as according to your registration, it should be roadworthy and its not.

Removing your rego and sticker will reduce the risk of a cop knowing that your car is registered however will increase the penalties if your caught eg. Number plates obsucred or missing, No registration label visible etc. etc. Your car needs to meet the requirements of being registered at all times and that includes displaying the plates and stickers in accordance with teh guidelines.

As said, if someone wants to defect you, they will.

aZK.
But towing it on a trailer is not driving it on the road neither is having it in your driveway so how does that work ?

Going on your theory if I go in a burn out comp and have rubber all over the guards towing the car home I can get done for hooning as I believe they don't have to see you doing burnouts just the rubber on the car is enough ain't it ?

If they can defect ya car on the trailer what's the point of having it on the trailer ya might as well just drive it defeats the purpose really don't it.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Remove coil lead, and tell em ur getting it looked at as its not starting ;)

I'll have a look to see if I can find the clause