Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car sounds different after oil change

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hello everyone,

I'm nervous with driving my car as i have done a service on my car tonight and i've made sure i filled the oil to the right levels, yet, when i drive, my car sounds differently and when i open the car bonnet, the engine is has some smoke (could possibly be old oil that spilt on the engine when i replaced the oil filter). I used Castrol Magnetec 10w - 30 oil with a ryco z154 filter.

I also cleaned the spark plugs instead of replacing them but they seem to be firing properly. Has anybody experienced this situation?

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
is there no tapping/bearing noise? what kind of noise are you experiencing?
i would so u spillt some on your exhaust manifold/block and its now burning off lol.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
10w 30 is pretty thin for a vn you want 20/50

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
What noises is it making? The only differences I have noticed when I have serviced cars is that they feel better and run smoother, and are more often quieter then before the service.

10w 30 is pretty thin for a vn you want 20/50

Doh, just noticed that, yeah that is very thin, you will probably get tapping and burning from oil leaking between the piston rings in an old car.

20w 50 is what I used to use in my old pos camira in order to keep the tapping down a little bit.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
10W40 is what you want on an Ecotec (i'm assuming because this is the VY section?)

Don't run 20W50 unless it's consuming oil on 10W40. You'll do more harm then good running it in an engine that doesn't need it.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
My VY Calais has 148,000 kms on the clock and i've serviced it yesterday when the previous oil was only 7,000kms. The oil was black and low.

I've placed castrol modern engine 10w - 30 with a ryco filter. I started it this morning an it sounds normal but i get a minor tapping noise while the engine is running, could that be the oil dripping from the pan? My main issue is when i drive it, it feels slugish and vibrates a little.

What oil would you recommend for my car? (both brand and range). Also, is the current oil worth draining out or should i run it to see if it operates ok? Also, the burning smoke is coming from the front of the engine...is that normal?

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Can you please tell me what the difference is between 10w-30 and 10w-40? I looked up on the castrol website and they recommended using castrol modern engine 10w-30 or castrol sport edge 10w-40

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Can you please tell me what the difference is between 10w-30 and 10w-40? I looked up on the castrol website and they recommended using castrol modern engine 10w-30 or castrol sport edge 10w-40

Basically it is a multigrade oil, the w means different thicknesses of oil or weight, so 10w 30 or 10w 50 start off the same cold weight but the hot weight is different. 10w30 is basically equivilant to 30w, and 10w 40 is the same as 40w, but they start working earlier which is better for the engine.

20w 50 is for old engines (I thought you had a VN), so yes you were right 10w 30 is good for newer engines.

I suspect the tapping was because of the old burnt oil, when it's brown or black it doesn't work anymore and starts to wear out the engine which is why you need to change it regularly.

Check the oil again and if it is dark already then change it again, otherwise wait until the next service.

The tapping happens when not enough oil gets to the heads, so usually when you start it up if the oil is a bit old, or it is very cold you could hear it. It is basically the tappets working with minimal oil as all the oil drains to the pan after a few hours after driving so when you start it up there isn't much oil in the heads. Newer engines don't tend to do it as much as older engines which are a bit worn.

But make sure you change it regularly and warm up the car a little before you give it too much throttle, at least a few minutes, that will stop the oil from burning.

Just for the info, it is more important to have the oil clean and full then the exact right brand or specs, but 10w30 sounds good. I have used Magnatec without issues in other cars, it does bond a little better then normal oils, but it will drain to the pan eventually too.