Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car sounds different after oil change

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thanks for your informative info sleepa. You've helped me understand the grades of oil and what they mean. So would you say (going by my description) to continue driving the car and see if the oil settles to the top (without damaging the engine that is).? Also, have you used any other oils for your vx which you found quite good? I'd like to give it the good oil if i can. Btw, I checked the oil this morning after driving 6 kms and the oil was clean. Also, the oil is at the full line mark on the dipstick.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Sounds good about the oil, as long as it's clean and on the full level it will be fine, just check once a week that it's still full and hasn't become burnt. I can't help you out with my vx as I havn't done an oil change myself since I have had it, Due in a few hundred kays so will find a good oil soon enough.

Stay away from oils with 5w -- as these are usually for turbo cars in great condition and are quite pricey.

Really any decent brand name oil is good, and I have found in my other car that synthetic oil made a bit of a difference, maybe someone else will be able to tell you the best oil for your car.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thanks for your help all the same. Hopefully when i get home (on Friday), i'll drive my car to see if any problems should arrise.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
10w 30 is fine for Ecotechs,and is actually recommended by Holden for maximum fuel economy.
Just make sure it has a minimum rating of SJ ILSAC GF2 (most new quailty oils are GF3 or GF4).

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
It'll be the thinner grade of oil that's making your v6 tick. Grades like 10w30 are advertised for brand spanking new engines in order to meet set economy standards. I like to use Valvoline Durablend 15w50 in my VY with 160,000kms.

-Nick.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
It'll be the thinner grade of oil that's making your v6 tick. Grades like 10w30 are advertised for brand spanking new engines in order to meet set economy standards. I like to use Valvoline Durablend 15w50 in my VY with 160,000kms.

-Nick.

hows it run with the 15w50 man? i run 10w40 its good lil nosiey, thinking of trying out a 15w50 to see how it goes

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan

-Nick.
Well i've been using 10w 30 in both my VS and VY since i've had them. 320,000kms on the VS with no ticks or rattles,engine never been pulled down,go figure.

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
I have 260Ks on my girl still use 10W (W-Winter, not weight) 40. she knocks at start up but has done that for the last 100k, when it stops knocking I know its go oil pressure :)

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
I went to Bursons and the guy refered me to Nulon 10w - 40 for my next service. He try's that in his car and said his had no problem with his commodore.

Also, I went into Supercheap auto and a lady refered me to some fluid for the ticking noise that may be coming the tappets. Supposedly you put the full bottle in your oil and it should remove the noise but i'm nlot certain if it is my tappets. Has anybody encountered this problem before and have they used this stuff in their commodore?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
HPR 10 - Penrite Oil

Oil is way too thin. Don't skimp on oil

Copy n paste from the penrite site:

Application
Designed for use in the latest types of petrol
engines including conventional, multi-cam, multivalve,
turbocharged and supercharged engines
(including the new generation of high output V8 and