Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car sounds different after oil change

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I went to Bursons and the guy refered me to Nulon 10w - 40 for my next service. He try's that in his car and said his had no problem with his commodore.

Also, I went into Supercheap auto and a lady refered me to some fluid for the ticking noise that may be coming the tappets. Supposedly you put the full bottle in your oil and it should remove the noise but i'm nlot certain if it is my tappets. Has anybody encountered this problem before and have they used this stuff in their commodore?

hey man ive been using nulon 10w40 with the E20 additive for over a year now, no problems at all, i though it was noisey but thats acuturally my cat lol, I will be doing another oil change next w.e, its awsome oil, under my rocker covers are spotless

Engine runs smooth as with good fuel eco aswell, highly recommend Nulon Oils, i will deff be using this same oil in my VE v8

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Damn, I should have researched more into my oils then. I'm going to see the guys at holden and see what they think of the oil (not to say that i dont believe everyones comments....which i'm very thankful of) but just so i can get the heads up. I'd hate to know that i've spent money on oil that really is crap for my car. Just wondering 'WogBoyz', what noise was your CAT (cataylic converter) making? Mine makes a ticking noise with the engine idling (possibly the tappets) but i feel it making different engine sounds when i drive too....is that possible with thinner oil? It definentlty wasn't making that noise before the service.

I'll have to give Nulon 10w - 40 a try then if you think its worth the money :) Thanks for your help mate

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Damn, I should have researched more into my oils then. I'm going to see the guys at holden and see what they think of the oil (not to say that i dont believe everyones comments....which i'm very thankful of) but just so i can get the heads up. I'd hate to know that i've spent money on oil that really is crap for my car. Just wondering 'WogBoyz', what noise was your CAT (cataylic converter) making? Mine makes a ticking noise with the engine idling (possibly the tappets) but i feel it making different engine sounds when i drive too....is that possible with thinner oil? It definentlty wasn't making that noise before the service.

I'll have to give Nulon 10w - 40 a try then if you think its worth the money :) Thanks for your help mate

Its making a tinny rattly kinda noise similar to ticking but it cause of the high flow cat, i deff recommend nulon oils

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
hows it run with the 15w50 man? i run 10w40 its good lil nosiey, thinking of trying out a 15w50 to see how it goes

It was pretty damn good mate. Very minor ticking on startup (first 3-5 seconds) as per normal in the morning. Economy was very reasonable given the thicker grade of the oil. I haven't had much luck with many thick oils (Edge 10w-60, Nulon 15w-50, Penrite 10w-50) but this one surprised me. I guess my little V6 is just a bit picky. Plus, I like the fact that I can get this in 6L (5+1) and not buy two or more 5L bottles. Sad thing is, you'll have to order it in through your local supercheap, etc coz they don't normally keep the 15w-50 handy on the shelves.

-Nick.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thanks to everyone whose replied to my comments on this thread. I've had an RACV mechanic check the engine and he said there's nothing to worry about. He actually said that the oil i'm using is good for my type of engine and that synethetics can be a waste of time (which can be hard to believe until i try it). My assumption is that the noise coming from my engine was the tappets which must have had insufficent oil to them but since i've driven a little bit further than 6kms, it has new oil reaching the top of the engine and now its not making any noise.

Thanks for everyones help once again :)