Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing light bulbs in VT/VX instrument cluster

chayles ark

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman
ok i got a wh statesman and wanna change from the green lights so i had a look on the net but couldnt find anything ( not to good with computers :( anyways does anyone have or know where i can get a list of all the bulbs i need to change them?? are they all th same bulb or are some different? thanks in advance guys and girls

Matt 88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec SeriesII
Following on from the Lorax post with the "how to" pictures I thought that I would add a few photos of the instrument panel removal.

These are photos from a VX Series 2

Once you have removed the panel around the instrument and climate control units taking out the instrument panel is quite simple.

First remove 2 screws (one on either side of the panel)
Instrument panel.jpg

Then ease the panel out and remove the one electrical connector behind. The instrument panel can now be removed.
Electrical connector.JPG

This is a photo of the back of the panel
Back of instrument panel.JPG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
ok i got a wh statesman and wanna change from the green lights so i had a look on the net but couldnt find anything ( not to good with computers :( anyways does anyone have or know where i can get a list of all the bulbs i need to change them?? are they all th same bulb or are some different? thanks in advance guys and girls

ebay sell them led bulbs as a kit,they are cheap if you can live with hot spots on your dial

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
i found these replacment bulbs for the climate control unit and it's ment to be for german cars but it also works on commodores
Mercedes instrument cluster dash light bulb 12v 1.5w Beige Avail. in any quanity | eBay

I don't think they would give a good colour. Being a filament bulb it would be a beige/yellow colour. But it could work if you painted the back of the laminate as some people have.

Here are my results of painting the laminate backing blue and using blue bulbs. I originally decided to use white SMD lights with the blue glass paint in replace of the green laminate but Lastnight I had an idea to bend the legs out of the blue SMD's I have and solder them to the board.

I have since corrected the hot spots & I don't have any photos of the final results but here's what I do have:

65762f8a-3dbb-cfc8.jpg
65762f8a-3dc9-b849.jpg
65762f8a-3ddd-bd5b.jpg

fixitdude74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II CALAIS 5.7 A4
is it true, if you change your cluster lights to led, that they wont fade when you dim the dash lights??

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
is it true, if you change your cluster lights to led, that they wont fade when you dim the dash lights??

Chances are they will dim slightly and then quickly drop to no light. Normal LEDs don't like voltage dimming.

matais3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
where is the odometer globe located, spent hours trying to find it today

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
middle of the lcd panel but on on the underside of course

matais3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Do I have to remove the plastic cover and the speedo?