Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

check power train error coming on when given it some stick

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
anyone know if im sposed to disconnect the battery or anything after changin the sensors? or get some tool to tell the computer?

richie83

Reaction score
how do u check with the trip computer?

As far as I know you can't check with the trip computer anymore. I know in older cars with ALDL you could 'flash' out the error codes on the dash. If you can do it with the trip computer I'll be peeved, as I just bought that scan unit :|

anyone know if im sposed to disconnect the battery or anything after changin the sensors? or get some tool to tell the computer?

If you want your system to take them into account with fresh data for fuel trims etc, then disconnect the battery, pump the brakes for 30 seconds, then leave disconnected for a couple of hours. Otherwise they will eventually automatically adjust trims, air intake etc, just that you'll be working from your existing data, rather than a clean slate.

richie83

Reaction score
I plugged the scan tool in this morning, error code is p0303 - engine cylinder 3 misfire.

I'm assuming this is a coil pack, which means removing the intake manifold to get access to yes?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
I plugged the scan tool in this morning, error code is p0303 - engine cylinder 3 misfire.

I'm assuming this is a coil pack, which means removing the intake manifold to get access to yes?
yeah u would assume it would be that i suppose. yeah u have to remove manifold for access.
the main prob has disappeared on mine but it still hesitates every now and then so im thinkin coils too.
where did u buy the scan-tool from and how do u rate it...money well spent?

richie83

Reaction score
where did u buy the scan-tool from and how do u rate it...money well spent?

I bought an Elmscan5 Compact from eBay, then found out I could have gotten it for the same price at scantool.net . Just loaded the included software, plugged it in and it worked like a charm. I'm quite familiar with ALDL diagnostics (as I made the ALDL how-to on here) and this was a lot easier than making your own, and for $100 it was money well spent, I already have a few guys lining up to borrow it for their Commodores.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
did u end up changing the coil/coils that are troubleing ya?
finally got round to servicing the car on the weekend..... i did bosch platinums at 1.1mm gap, fuel,air,and oil filter and new gm 10w-30 oil and cleaned the throttle body, and gave the gas injectors a little squirt of throttle body cleaner while i had the manifold off. took it for a spin afterwards and she had heaps more get up and go, and has been goin good all week until today.
and all 4 O2 sensors are changed also......it still runs rough takin off at lights and today"check powertrain" came on and it needed a restart to run good again, its got to be the coils i think. might look into a scan tool or bite the bullet and take it to a shop.

richie83

Reaction score
Hey mate...

I haven't had a chance yet, by the time I get home from work there isn't usually enough light to do the work on the driveway, so it will probably be a Saturday job. I'm knocking off early today and might get a chance to do it, I've already bough a replacement plenum gasket, so I'm pretty much good to go. I'm just going to swap the bad coil over to another cylinder, if the fault turns up on the new cylinder, then I've probably found the cause.

With the V6 alloytec, whats the numbering order on the cylinders? I'm assuming its:

Back
5 6
3 4
1 2
Front

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
good idea, it wont matter cos if u get a code for a diff cylinder you'll know its that coil.
cant find the elmscan one on ebay, but they have one that says for vz's and upwards i think, and thats a handheld device for $150 incl postage. can u disable "active torque management" with these scan tools, do u know?
they have obd2 compliant ones from china for like $40-60 but dont trust the shipping too much, its been 19 days so far for my $7 i-phone fm transmitter from hong kong.... not holdin my breathe, its only 7 bucks.lol

richie83

Reaction score
The cheapest legitimate Elmscan5 tool you'll find is here: ElmScan 5 Compact Scan Tool - PC Based Scan Tools - Scan Tools - ScanTool.net

Thats the exact one I have and it works a treat. It'll end up being around AU$100 including shipping. I'm quite sure these ones can't disable torque management, only Tech2 and similar can (big bucks).

Also, I worked on the car a bit tonight, removed everything to get the plenum off but couldn't make it come off, its like I've missed a bolt or something. BUT! I did notice that a small vacuum line at the rear of the plenum was never connected, anyway I put pipe etc all back in place, including the previously disconnected vacuum tube. Took her for a spin and did exactly what I did before to create the error, nothing! Even putting it in power mode and dropping the throttle and thrashing it, it still doesn't error, strange!

Still have to get the plenum off to replace the gasket now, need to figure out why the thing won't budge.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah thanx for that. did u remove all 6 bolts, there is one hidden over the back?
when i serviced mine i gave it a good thrashing too and it was flawless but 4 days later and it started sh*&ing itself again