Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Classic Cars

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
had an HD as my first car, ehhhh no thanks.
Which is exactly the way that HD's have been regarded for years. Mine was sound and only 6 years old. It had its faults but would have made a fantastic project car today.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Keep the VT Drewie. You will never find another in that condition with that mileage. You'll get maybe 3k as a trade. If you are very lucky. One of the better colours, too.

My uncle had a HD holden. Standard that was somehow finished in two tone brown. Had a crash in it, writing it off. Wrote him off too. 6th August 1982. RIP Uncle Tim. Damn shame I never met him. A week after the funeral, mum learned she was pregnant with moi.

Anyway....yes it's often the mundane cars that make the most interesting classics. At a show, they get lots of interest as that's what people had, people can identify with it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Which is exactly the way that HD's have been regarded for years. Mine was sound and only 6 years old. It had its faults but would have made a fantastic project car today.

As someone who has owned both I'd never choose the HD over the HR.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
As someone who has owned both I'd never choose the HD over the HR.
I've had both too. The only difference between the two apart from styling and larger engines was the front suspension (which was fitted to late production HD's from October 65 anyway) and a slight variation in tyre profile. It's the more radical styling that appeals to me. The HR was neat but subdued which is exactly what was intended.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Dad says hd's are rare these days because they had such bad rust problems. Hence why you see hardly any of them. I like them too I saw a ute just cruising down the highway the other day and I took a picture of a really nice one I saw at a car show. Was the only one there.

IMG_20170312_130446_zpsxoknbnmk.jpg

Edit:stupid Photobucket Photobucket is playing up I'll try and fix that link when I get home so you can see the picture

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Edit:stupid Photobucket Photobucket is playing up I'll try and fix that link when I get home so you can see the picture

PB has recently shafted everyone who uses it.

Unless you're prepared to pay US$399 you won't be able to fix the link.

You will need to find another image hoster.....Imgur or similar.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Dad says hd's are rare these days because they had such bad rust problems.
I think it was because the ugly front on the HD and lots of hotrodders and early holden blokes wanted the ball joint front end I don't think they rusted any better or any worse than any other early holden.

Manda Lee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I remember being 16 years old and seeing and hearing my Uncles SLR for the very 1st time. I was mesmerized and just blown away by the purple pearl paint, and the grunty roar of the 350 chev it gave me goosebumps, that car was seriously sexy! From that day on all I wanted was an SLR, it was my dream car! Low and behold 20 years later my awesome partner suprised me with a 77 LX rolling shell for my birthday last year. Car was primed and ready to rebuild I cannot wait till the old girls finished and I can cruise around, jumped the gun a bit and got personalized plates already Makes me sound old but they just dont build cars like they used too.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I remember the front guards on the HD were nicknamed " pedestrian cutters "

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I remember the front guards on the HD were nicknamed " pedestrian cutters "

And you are correct.....From a cruddy memory, the HD wasn't very popular due to the front and rear guards having the pedestrian cutter shape in them.

The HR became popular due to disc brakes being an option and the bugs being ironed out from the HD, including the guard shape