Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk when braking

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
the bearings are out of your strut mount.... dont just get the bearing get the whole strut top mount. nolathane are worth every penny should be about $150. youll need spring comprssors to change them aswell.

Ah sweet. Least they not just falling out of no where haha. No worries. Hopefully it is the cause of my problem.
Almost every bush in my car is Nolathane so yeah.. keep the pattern going. cheers

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
the bearings are out of your strut mount.... dont just get the bearing get the whole strut top mount. nolathane are worth every penny should be about $150. youll need spring comprssors to change them aswell.

didnt use a spring compressor on mine when changing them. :p
Nolathane are quite expensive and 150 is spot on.
Get sway bar bushes while your there. If there black. Bet is they're original.

Bux

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb vn & vy
As hako suggested, foot on brake and go from drive to reverse and watch the front wheels. My commodore (vn 5.0) had a clunking noise from the front when braking or hitting bumps (big or small) I have found the k frame moving where it bolts up to the body. I have just changed the ball joints and the 3 bushes each side which didnt fix it so im hoping this is the problem.

Last edited:

Bux

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb vn & vy
Just had a look at the car and got maybe a turn or so more on the left side sub frame bolts and none on the right side. And s*#t hot the noise has gone. So just gotta do sway bar rubbers (the 27mm ones) and all front bushes done.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Well I had a holden dealer ship put a second hand k-frame, I doubt they'd do a decent job after the amount I paid them.
I'm getting my Strut mount bearings or something replaced tomorow so hopefully that's sorted the problem. but if it doesn't Ill check the bolts on the k frame. cheers

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Just had a look at the car and got maybe a turn or so more on the left side sub frame bolts and none on the right side. And s*#t hot the noise has gone. So just gotta do sway bar rubbers (the 27mm ones) and all front bushes done.

Well hot damn, After having replaced the strut bearings and still clunking.. mentioned they should have a look at the k-frame bolts and surelly enough. yep

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I had the exact same problem with my K frame not long ago, my vs was clunking badly under braking too. It took me a while to find what was causing it. Id only replaced the complete front suspension etc a few months before this started happening. The left front nut from the k frame was missing altogether and the back left one was heaps loose. Ive replaced the missing washer and nut and locktited them all now. The wheel alignment guy loosened the K frame nuts to move the frame a little bit to get the wheel alignment (caster angle) absolutely the same side to side after the front end rebuild. Id say he either didnt tighten them properly or they need locktite on them which he didnt do, he used a rattle gun on them.

Last edited:

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
I had the exact same problem with my K frame not long ago, my vs was clunking badly under braking too. It took me a while to find what was causing it. Id only replaced the complete front suspension etc a few months before this started happening. The left front nut from the k frame was missing altogether and the back left one was heaps loose. Ive replaced the missing washer and nut and locktited them all now. The wheel alignment guy loosened the K frame nuts to move the frame a little bit to get the wheel alignment (caster angle) absolutely the same side to side after the front end rebuild. Id say he either didnt tighten them properly or they need locktite on them which he didnt do, he used a rattle gun on them.

Hey there
Ive got s VYII V8 Calais. Recently noticed a thumping only when braking above 40kmh. Feeks like 1 thump per wheel rotation, like something on calipers/pads & rotor are grabbing.. is this same as yours ?

Ive checked wheels, calipers, pads... noithing stands out.

You mention loose K frame bolts?

I assume my front end similar to a VS.
my workshop manual doesn't mention any K frame.

Is this also known as sonething else?
Do you have a photo of it ?