Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cluster not working after battery change

gabiedgar21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 series 1
so i recently replaced my battery in my series 1 ve commodore and now my entire cluster isn’t working, when i tried to jump the start the car before the new battery was put in everything was working fine and this was the day prior to changing the battery, straight after changing it over the cluster just won’t work so i have no speedo, revs, temp and fuel gauge as well as the digital speedo. it doesn’t work when the car is on accessories either. i’ve checked the fuse for the cluster and it’s fine so i don’t think it’s an issue with the fuse but if anyone has any ideas as to what it possibly could be pls let me know not sure what to do to fix it

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Jump starting a modern car is like juggling firecrackers. Sometimes one might go bang.

Voltage spikes caused by jumpstarting can fry modules throughout the car.

I would never do it unless done with a proper jump pack that have voltage spike protection.

The other scenario could be the car has lost the cluster/module on the network. Either due to a glitch or due to the cluster being cooked.

Easy options for you are:

Check all fuses and relays.

Do a capacitor discharge throughout the car. Disconnect the negative terminal. Then open all the doors. Put on lights press buttons on the HVAC and radio. Use steering wheel controls. Turn the key to start the car (which it won’t because the battery is disconnected at the negative terminal) Beep the horn. Use the brake. Move the gear selector through the gears. You get the idea. Put it all right again. Then go have a cup of tea and leave it for 30mins or so.

Make sure everything is closed and then off. Reconnect the negative terminal. If all goes well, you have the cluster module found on the network again and away you go.

If not you will either need to have it relinked to the cars network with a suitable scan tool or it’s buggered and needs replacing, to which the replacement cluster needs to be linked to your car.

gabiedgar21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 series 1
Jump starting a modern car is like juggling firecrackers. Sometimes one might go bang.

Voltage spikes caused by jumpstarting can fry modules throughout the car.

I would never do it unless done with a proper jump pack that have voltage spike protection.

The other scenario could be the car has lost the cluster/module on the network. Either due to a glitch or due to the cluster being cooked.

Easy options for you are:

Check all fuses and relays.

Do a capacitor discharge throughout the car. Disconnect the negative terminal. Then open all the doors. Put on lights press buttons on the HVAC and radio. Use steering wheel controls. Turn the key to start the car (which it won’t because the battery is disconnected at the negative terminal) Beep the horn. Use the brake. Move the gear selector through the gears. You get the idea. Put it all right again. Then go have a cup of tea and leave it for 30mins or so.

Make sure everything is closed and then off. Reconnect the negative terminal. If all goes well, you have the cluster module found on the network again and away you go.

If not you will either need to have it relinked to the cars network with a suitable scan tool or it’s buggered and needs replacing, to which the replacement cluster needs to be linked to your car.
finally got it working turned out it was a tiny fuse that blew :)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Super lucky. Dont jump start cars unless it’s a fancy jump pack.

Or even better… don’t ever jump start. Either (’bench’) recharge the battery or replace it. Jumping a car will be fine if the battery isn’t open-circuit (by having a broken inter-cell connector break) or really flat (which makes then high-impedance). The problem is that you don’t know what you are dealing with.

The simple safe rule is to make the car start by its own battery. If the battery can’t start the car (after a recharge or boost via jumper leads), it’s no good. Don’t ever disconnect the jump leads while the car with the flat battery is running.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you don’t know, you need to go through all fuses with a multimeter. Set to continuity. Touch on the exposed parts each side of the fusable filament. Find the dead fuse that way.

Fuses above battery. Fuses in the passenger kick panel. Fuses under the bonnet.