Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 3 instrument cluster short and now no alternator charge?

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Probably blown the loop for the warning light circuit, the alternator excite circuit runs via the dash warning light and with this not functioning the alternator won't charge.

In theory, you could cut the wire at the alternator, wire in a 2w 12 volt light bulb to ground and then it should work.
I replaced dashboard warning bulbs with LEDs. Presumbably needs less than 2 watts, but doesn't seem to affect alternator.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
With just and LED or some sort of LED light replacement globe? Some have built in resistors because LED bulbs are known to set fault lights on the dash indicating a bulb failure due to a lack of load on the circuit.

I don't know how sensitive the alternator is to low load on the excite wire, I have seen warnings on V6 alternators to not use higher wattage bulbs as that can cause problems.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i dont think led will work for alternator warning, needs to be globe as it has to be ground when it isnt charging, same as stop lights for cruise control as they ground thru the globe u cant use leds without some added load

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
A resistor?
in a way yes, most leds need a resistor to work on 12v but that still dosnt ground the led like a globe does so u need proper load resistors to earth so the circuit loads up, for alternator light its easiest to just use a normal globe 2 or 3 watt, just a resistor may not work as it will just be basically resister to ground so it will heat up and fry unless its a decent one if its not charging

Reactions: Lex