Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VX - Front Struts

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
My VX II Equipe has done 276,000 klm and I think the front struts are just about gone.

I have to bounce the front suspension quiet a few times before shock inserts start working. Once I do this they seem to be OK after that.

I have Pedders Comfort Ride struts and these are no longer available. Pedders want $950 to supply and fit equivalent struts and replace the rear two shocks as well.

Just looking on ebay, "Suzuki Super" and Webco strut assemblies are listed at a fraction of what Pedders want.

The Suzuki look the better units of these two as "Webco" has had recalls in recent times.

I have not yet checked what Holden genuine units are worth.

Has any Forum member had any experience fitting either of these brands or any other brand of after market front strut assemblies ( and rears ) to a standard VX II Commodore ?

I would appreciate any informed comment.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
A set of front KYB struts delivered are $240 on ebay atm.

D

devilly

Yeap I agree with KYB struts then I went sports Gt rear shocks:) and springs pedders heavy duty works really well :)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
As said before, might be a good idea to jack up car and inspect other bushes , ball joints, tie rod ends before you start ( pulling it apart once or paying someone to do that is way less frustrating and expensive if someone else is doing it) , one wheel alignment instead of another shortly after. Might be a bigger bill now but smoother operation into the future.
And with that in mind probably would guarantee strut top mounts/ bearings would need doing .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Poke your head under the guard with the car jacked up a bit. I reckon you need to replace everything on the strut including bumpstops and boots. I'd be inclined to replace the CA's while the strut is out. Do it once and do it right. If you do the job yourself including arms you will save 120-150 bucks and that's about all. My mech did the labour on mine for $60 a side including fitting new CA's with me supplying the bits to overhaul the strut and a rebuilt CA. Like Afstruct mentioned, I'd grab another left TRE as it will probably be flogged out given the mileage and they are under 25 bucks for a Wasp if you have a shop that will look after you. TRE's are fairly easy to fit yourself as long as they are not seized in the hole like mine was. Setting the alignment enough to get it to a wheel aligner can be tricky but not too hard. Just don't use BJTM for an alignment, need I say more......

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Thank you all for your replies.

I have done some more homework.

The KYB units for my VX II are pitched at the FE II suspension, they clearly state this. My vehicle has a standard suspension.

The Monroe units are more expensive that the Pedders struts, but they do offer 3 different valving options, but without using the word "standard" suspension. At that price, I am sure they are excellent quality.

I rang my local Holden dealer and to my surprise, they supply the struts for $122 each, but more importantly, offer 3 variations of shock valving, Standard, FE I, and FE II. With my VIN number supplied, I will get the correct one.

To my surprise the genuine Holden units look the way to go. I realize I will have to replace the top bearings and boots as well.

I will do the job myself after looking at this informative video. Spring compressors look cheaper to buy on Ebay than to hire.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
If your bump stop and dust cover are good don't bother cutting zip tie , just undo clamp at bottom of the cover on stut.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Thank you all for your replies.

I have done some more homework.

The KYB units for my VX II are pitched at the FE II suspension, they clearly state this. My vehicle has a standard suspension.

The Monroe units are more expensive that the Pedders struts, but they do offer 3 different valving options, but without using the word "standard" suspension. At that price, I am sure they are excellent quality.

I rang my local Holden dealer and to my surprise, they supply the struts for $122 each, but more importantly, offer 3 variations of shock valving, Standard, FE I, and FE II. With my VIN number supplied, I will get the correct one.

To my surprise the genuine Holden units look the way to go. I realize I will have to replace the top bearings and boots as well.

I will do the job myself after looking at this informative video. Spring compressors look cheaper to buy on Ebay than to hire.

Thanks for mentioning Holden for standard struts. Will keep that in mind. I tend to forget about them as a parts supplier.

Just had new lower control arms put in and some strut damage was found on the same side I smacked a wombat at highway speed. Already knew the top bearings are worn.

Will have to save up again but damage is not critical and I don't get out much anyway.