Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer Monitor As A Screen Output

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Never mind....

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Wow the Pioneer manual for this unit is completely useless, doesn't give a wiring diagram or anything.
I guess you don't realise Pioneer head units have an operation manual and an installation manual. It's not the manual that's useless :p

It might be easier to connect the monitor and converter to a home DVD player composite output. To test that those two items are working. If they do, then find a small TV and connect it to the head unit like others have mentioned.

How are you powering the monitor and converter? Do you have a power inverter?

Set the rear monitor output to "FRONT" in the menu.

92 VP CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Calais
Thanks Vt-Brrrlina, It set me back a bit over a grand around 6 months ago, it's a ripper unit.

Thanks StoneX, some great advice, I am using a power inverter to power the monitor and converter, but as I said above, i powered them using a 240V source while I was fiddling. And whereabouts do you set the rear monitor to "FRONT" mate?

Cheers.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'm not sure where the setting is located off the top of my head... It's listed in the operation manual as I saw it today.

You can have problems running items from 240v connected to car equipment. Do the checks that we've described above, then it would be best to check the equipment in car with the inverter rather than external 240v.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
the headunit probably outputs a resolution that the VGA monitor can't display, and the converter box you have doesn't change the resolution to one the monitor supports.

92 VP CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Calais
Thanks for the help guys, the other night I had another go at trying to figure this problem out. I set up the monitor, converter and a DVD player. After a long time of fiddling with settings and wires a so on, I was able to get sound through the converter but I could not get any image using the RCA leads. I then tried using component leads from the DVD player instead and it did work!? I don't know if this means the converter is faulty or what because I cant understand why the component leads should work but the yellow RCA doesn't as from what I understand, the yellow RCA is pretty much the three components in one lead?
And thanks for the reply AmmoJammo, but the converter box does change the resolution and you are manually able to change it through the options menu, I have tried changing this but it still does not work.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Is there an option to choose between composite (Yellow) and component (Red, Green, Blue) inputs? That's all I can think of...

92 VP CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Calais
I don't believe there is StoneX, I've read through the instructions and fiddled with settings but I couldn't find anything.

92 VP CALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Calais
Time for an update guys.

Over the weekend, I went to return the converter as I thought it must be faulty but I decided to mock the converter, monitor and DVD player one more time. I went through all the settings on the converter and monitor but had no luck once again. I then had a look at the DVD player and pressed a button labeled "Progressive" which gave me a picture on the monitor using the RCA cables!! I think that this button must change the output signal from the DVD player. This makes me think that there must be a setting I need to change from the headunit to enable an extra screen to run. Any help would be much appreciated guys

The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P5250BT as mentioned above.

Thanks guys

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Just call Pioneer. They have a call center/help line and the people will be able to tell you what needs to be done to turn the video output on.