Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to a VN Calais dash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Lol i have the exact same problem lmao. It is lit up until i turn the headlights on then the dash goes dark.Although i am fitting a vn calais dash into the vp. Ill recheck everything against the pcm and get back to you after i have corrected it, i had two white and green wires left over and another color.

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
anybody got any ideas. i really wanna be able to drive my car at night but cant till this is resolved

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
did you take the cluster out and check the circuit board on the back for any breaks? you say the 3 windows lighting turns off when you turn your lights on? those lights should always be on, and the headlight wiring shouldnt have anything to do with it. i would say youve got a bad connection somewhere. have you tried unplugging the 4th connector and seeing if your lights work then? would be a way of determining if youve buggered up the 4th connector wiring

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
yea no breaks on the circuit board at all. yea for some reason the triple windows turn off when the headlights/parkers are turned on. no i have not tried that. ill try it soon and get back to you.

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
well unplugged the 4th connector and the lights still not working.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
so you have no lights at all on the dash? none behind the dials, and none behind the lcds?
had an idea come to mind. check the wiring on the left hand side switchblock. mainly, the dimmer switch. that has an effect on all of the lighting in the cluster so its possible it was faulty and your old switchblock was fine

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
ok ill check that. yea once the headlights are on no lights at all behind the dash just the switchblocks light up. o and i plugged my old lvl 2 dash in and the lights did not work on that either.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok ill check that. yea once the headlights are on no lights at all behind the dash just the switchblocks light up. o and i plugged my old lvl 2 dash in and the lights did not work on that either.

in that case id go with the switchblock. plug in your old switchblock and see if the lights work. no need to remove the new one from the surround, just plug in the old one and leave it hanging there to test it

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
plugged in my old lh switchblock and lights still dont turn on and triple window lights still turn off.

damir

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais SV89
Quick question for the guru's before i pull the last strands of hair out!!

Ive got a 89 v6 calias with original level 3 cluster Gm part No 92033608 AG engine - hv6 tc On sticker
which i have removed due to bleeds/ runs in lcd panels and was trying to change cluster from a vq series 2 Gm Part No 92038539 KL engine - v8

Everythign seems to work bar the tacho - i have replaced the v8 one with my original v6 working unit but idles at 3g. going try try this

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...68332-converting-vr-tacho-suit-8cyl-6cyl.html

Cannt use trip/computer functions no feed to instant fuel usage and am unable to set speed or trip time details was working fine on original cluster unit
but yet all lights, wipers, dimmer functions and chimes working fine even interior delay ???

any idea's guys or would it be wiser and just grab my backing pcb and install that on the newer cluster ??

cheers guys

Last edited: