Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Demise of the Forum?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
So I've been on many online forums since they first started popping up in significant numbers in the 90s. They've been great. A bunch of like minded people discussing topics they love mutually or just shooting the ****.

But in the last few years there's been a decline that's been increasing in speed. Where is everyone's interest going? Where is everyone going? What's new that's replaced forums?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That twitface bullsh!t ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
FB groups as well, they seem relatively popular but nowhere near as useful as forums.

also Reddit.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
do you even instagram bro...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Forums are dying a slow death and have been for a long time. Activity here is at an all time low and another forum I visit is not lucky to have 10 new posts a day.

I honestly think there'll be a stabilisation, some people are more interested in forums than other forms of online communities - same thing happened to IRC. It dropped off and then stabilised.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Na forums are still alive and kicking...though the muppet to enthusiast ratio has swung more towards muppet :) main issue is forums are specific and as trends change the numbers drop....
I miss the good old days of dos and ansi bbs's....it was all to hard for the average joe :D

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
I think the traffic is dropping off in someways because as (SOME) people get older, their priorities change from being cars to family/house etc. And the younger people tend to head to Facebook groups rather than Forums. I've noticed the same thing happening on another forum I visit (Shootingaustralia.net). Funnily enough, the vaping forum I belong to is alive and kicking.

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Being young I can't really say, but some of the forums I am apart of are dead, for example the EDGE buggy forums, was really in its prime between 2006-2012.... now lucky to get 2 new posts a week.

Facebook pages are annoying, I am in a heap of em, and geez some people..... hahaha everyone is an expert on there, and others are just plain stupid. *Car for sale* "No rear springs, drove perfectly before springs were taken out, has no reverse":doh:

I agree with Timmah, people get older and have other responsibilities, and the forums get forgotten about.

R

Risky

Unless the younger guys & gals think that Great Wall is a good product & you wouldn't see a forum for that in a hurry.

I don't think it's loss of interest. Forums are far better than the FB groups for info. I have to say within my short space of time here, that I've learnt a lot & I've passed on what I've learnt. I'm always forever reading the How To & Show Your Ride in my spare time. Any info that's useful, reliable, economic & well proven by other users always serves others into having a go.

I would have to say that parts & cars are starting to get thinner and the younger mob want riceburners that are P plate friendly. I'd hate to be a P plater today being restricted in what I could buy. Plus, the younger guys, well most of them, want other people to do their mods as they give up to easily when they try & do it themselves, or they find it's too expensive to do.

Forums will be around, maybe running a little slower but as long as someone can help me with a problem, or help them solving one & finding useful info, I'll be here.