Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
awesome, thanks mate.

is there anything (household/workshop items) that i could use to get the excess off in the mean time, im planning to make a big order with CCP next month, but obviously i dont want this polish just baking on...

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Simple green have an APC that you can get from bunnings and works pretty well (dilute it, even though you can get it in a trigger pack). You might have some limited success with dishwashing detergent at a pinch for the trim - or those chux magic erasers come in handy for smaller textured areas - just be gentle with them though as they are abrasive. You can even use a normal pencil eraser if it's just a small area, again with light pressure - wouldn't use any of these options on paint though.

For painted areas, use APC and a soft brush for around badges and tighter, painted areas. Cotton tips are handy as well. Obviously, it will strip wax from the paint, so you'll need to rewax.

Andreas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS III V6 ute
Wow lots of good information here.
I have one for you Lish. My dog bailey rides up front in the ute with me, problem is his hair.
Vacuuming the carpet and set covers is a pain still leaves hair and I have used compressed air gun to blow it out :) Is there any solution bar a super high suction cleaner?
Regards.
Andreas.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
A carpet brush and/or pet hair brush are going to be your best friends for that job. Pet hair brushes are rubber and will cling to the dog hair (particularly longer hair) better to lift it out of the pile or weave to make it easier for the vac. A carpet brush is a thick, fairly stiff bristled brush that will work well with sand as well (so will an air gun). Neither is expensive, so it pays to have both.

daine042

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
Just gave my sv6 a good detail took 6 hours and a lot of beer haha i used the meguiars quik clay kit after i washed it then hit it with 2 layers of meguairs tech wax 2.0 and its really got a shine i recommend it highly

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
I had that on my calais, only 10 times worse, spent 10 minutes with silver polish (Silvo) and some water came up like new :)
I will try that, here are some pics:

VS:

VS1-1.jpg

WH:

Stato1.jpg

Stato3.jpg

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
I will try that, here are some pics:

VS:

VS1-1.jpg

WH:

Stato1.jpg

Stato3.jpg

first hit it with an acid based wheel cleaner. it may need a few hits to break down the carbon build up. then as tinny said some white spirits to remove baked on tar. next some autosol with 0000 grade steel wool. this will put fine scratches in the chrome but it will get rid of the baked on carbon spots. finally go over the lot with some purple polish as tinny said.

Cutloose

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss
Hey guys.

Im looking for a good car polish for my car (white car). I normal use auto gem polish, but the car still ends up with some cloudy dull spots over it that I just cant seem to get out. Manly on the roof boot lid and bonnit

Not sure if I should use a clay block or some sort of paint cleaner.
The cars a 94 vr ss so the paints getting old, just want to get it to shine like it use to.

Cheers

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
you really need to machine polish it to remove the oxidisation. doing it by hand will take for ever and give uneven results. for about $400 you can buy a das6 polisher with the polish samples and pads, which with a bit of time you will get the results you seek. car care products also have a detailing clinic coming up down that way on the 28th of this month which covers all you will need to know to use a random orbital polisher, give them a call to see if they have any spots left, for memory its $40-50?.

ps, whenever polishing you should clay the paint first as any bonded contaminates will come off with the polish and then get rubbed all over the paint putting more marks into the paint

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Not sure if I missed it, but before I decide to replace them, is there any way to remove water stains off chrome trims. All my door window chromes have it. Did try a polish autobarn sold me but did nothing but waste $35. My windows also have the same issue.

Cheers.