Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Determine persons identity from rego number?

dmb0011

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais V6
Hi I had a complete idiot kick in my car door in a road rage incident, long story short, he owes me a new door, but the only details I have are his rego number and from vicroads website the vin for his car.

The police wont give me his details, and wont pass on the bill to him, leaving probably my only choice to pursue this through the courts, unless anyone knows any way for me to find out his details? does anyone have any suggestions?

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

dmb0011

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais V6
yeah to return the car to original condition (before he kicked it) will require new door because the metal is too rippled and will cost a lot in labor, as told by panel shop guy who is currently writing up a quote.
The circumstances of the road rage are as follows; I was turning left at a round about and saw him coming on my right, I had judged that I had enough room to get through, so I kept going, but what I was unable to judge at the time was that he was speeding, I had to slam the brakes he sped through, narrowly missing me, beeped his horn and flipped me off.
I returned the beep and the finger, he stopped in the middle of the road, I had to slow down and go up on the median strip to get past and he kicked in my passenger side front door. I stopped, got his rego and he did a u-turn and sped off in the other direction.
all witnessed by my partner and our 3 kids.

The police were little to no help as there werent any witnesses, but wont release his info for insurance reasons

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
File a police report, its vandalism of your property at least. Then pass on the details of the police report and the car rego to your insurance company.

Vicroads and the police will never give you details of the car driver because it's confidential.

Can you imagine the field day car thieves, etc would have if they could spot a nice car, grab the rego, pop down to vicroads to get the owners details and address?

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
^^^^^ well it worked in gone in 60 seconds.....

Why would you try and drive infront of someone who had right of way at a round about? With your wife and 3 kids all in the car? I'd say you should be lucky you didn't have bigger dents and a dead family.

"what I didn't judge is he was speeding" is a crock of **** and just a cop out, you were impatiant, and endangered the lives of others, and broke the law ny not giving way.

And if you take it to court, thats exactly the verdict your going to get. "He was speeding, but there is no witnesses....." good luck, suck it up and go buy a new door.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
^^^^^ well it worked in gone in 60 seconds.....

Why would you try and drive infront of someone who had right of way at a round about? With your wife and 3 kids all in the car? I'd say you should be lucky you didn't have bigger dents and a dead family.

"what I didn't judge is he was speeding" is a crock of **** and just a cop out, you were impatiant, and endangered the lives of others, and broke the law ny not giving way.

And if you take it to court, thats exactly the verdict your going to get. "He was speeding, but there is no witnesses....." good luck, suck it up and go buy a new door.

+1

Sent from my HTC Liberty

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
It's Bairnsdale, its a small town you will see him again.
Did this happen at the Forge Creek Road/Princes Hwy Round about? Thats a #### of a round about.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Years ago you could apply to the transport department in your state if you had a good enough reason it used cost about $30
one good reason was to just print "legal reasons" on the form not sure if you can still do this of all states do it

I seriously doubt it would happen these days with privacy laws. Why do you think the Police won't hand over the details? Because they can't.

As already suggested, the OP needs to lodge a Police Report and hand the details to his insurance Co.