Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did Holden lie about the power output for the LFX V6?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I know the title sounds delusional and I don't really believe this claim either but I'm currently in a debate on the YouTube comments section where this guy is telling me that the LFX in the Commodores supposedly has 240kw like the Camaro, but Holden advertised it with 210kw to meet the 130kw/tonne P Plate restrictions... Is this true or is this other guy talking B.S? (I think it's the latter)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’d suspect it is true. Holden would have shut themselves out of P plater sales if they rated it correctly so there’s a fairly big incentive to lie about the actual kw rating.

I have always thought it was suspicious that the high output V6 never changed its kw rating from VE to VF.

It would be pretty much the same as the Japanese gentleman’s agreement to limit horsepower to 276. There no way that the R34 Skyline, Toyota Supra etc actually made 276 horsepower but they lied about it as competitive pressure basically pushed them to do it.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d suggest it to be something as simple as emissions targets.

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Car manufacturers have always told porkies about power output....Been happening for decades and will continue for decades to come..

So to answer the question....Guaranteed they did

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Output like many other metrics have to be independently verified and certified so it's not really possible for a manufacturer to bullsh1t. That said the sample can easily be tuned specifically for the certification process but.... risking fines and reputation for a poofteenth of their total market isn't smart, doesn't make sense, plus the rwkw dynos I've seen of stock VF LFX suggest 210 is pretty much on the money. 2016 auto below

Screenshot_20230406_191915_YouTube_1.jpg

Makes for a good internet conspiracy to argue pointlessly with perfect strangers about though

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is no way they pulled 240kW. No way.

We simply have a detuned and alternative cammed engine.

A roughly 30kW difference is not going to go unnoticed. It just won’t.

The various versions of Alloytec family of engines are used in so many different cars globally and every one of them delivered slight differences that suited the marketing and dynamics of each car.

Rodeo, Captiva and Commodore is a good example.

It is no way beyond the scope to have different tuning and internals in the same motor to suit a particular market.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Here is the important bits of the conversation:

P.S: Blurred out name is the other person...
1680779966726.png

1680780036899.png

1680780107642.png

1680780170670.png

1680780239652.png

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Output like many other metrics have to be independently verified and certified so it's not really possible for a manufacturer to bullsh1t. That said the sample can easily be tuned specifically for the certification process but.... risking fines and reputation for a poofteenth of their total market isn't smart, doesn't make sense, plus the rwkw dynos I've seen of stock VF LFX suggest 210 is pretty much on the money. 2016 auto below

View attachment 250181

Makes for a good internet conspiracy to argue pointlessly with perfect strangers about though
Well the Japanese gentleman’s agreement exists as mentioned by @J_D 2.0, though I do agree with you and think that the LFX does in fact make 210kw at the crank... Not many P-Platers would be buying these things new from Holden anyways and they're a very small market...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
There is no way they pulled 240kW. No way.

We simply have a detuned and alternative cammed engine.

A roughly 30kW difference is not going to go unnoticed. It just won’t.

The various versions of Alloytec family of engines are used in so many different cars globally and every one of them delivered slight differences that suited the marketing and dynamics of each car.

Rodeo, Captiva and Commodore is a good example.

It is no way beyond the scope to have different tuning and internals in the same motor to suit a particular market.
Their evidence is backed up by an LTT SV6 that they drove VS an LFX SV6 and the LFX "felt much faster" than the LTT, but many things come into play, including whether or not it's been serviced properly...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I think we can come to a conclusion and say that Holden didn't fudge the power output for their LFX engine, to suit the P-Plate market... This conspiracy theory sounds like something created in the Political thread, an April fools joke or both :D