Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did Holden lie about the power output for the LFX V6?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This is where full quotes are essential to healthy discussion. If you included the next two sentences then that's the explanation. They cheated samples with software. Emissions wasn't the topic anyway, that's a whole other metric and you're generalising the sentiment that manufacturers mistruths are commonplace based on anecdotes

It's highly unlikely Holden are telling porkies about output, there's numerous stock dyno results across the intergoobs on the VF LFX platform which all add up to about 210 at the fly. It's not from one dyno

Posts like this just contribute to furthering flippancy towards evidence, fact and truth in the quest for an opinion
I just disagreed with your first line in that manufacturers certifications are independently verified.

There is no such legal requirement for independent verification. Legally it’s the manufacturers who self certifies and it’s there employees signing legal docs to say it’s all kosher. In fact one VW employee in the states was jailed for signing a doc certifying that VW cars met pollution requirements when he knew (or should have known) they didn’t…

My point was that such behaviours are sadly too common as private companies primary motives are profit… and people lie for money, heck they even do much worse than lie…

If profit wasn’t a companies primary motive, then they wouldn't lie on pollution certification documents (unlike all those manufacturers I listed) and they’d follow all consumer laws even if it impacts warranty costs negatively (unlike Ford Australia with heir DCT claim denials and they got lumped with a $10M fine for not following law).

Heck, one CEO even went as far as importing Heroin to make some quick cash to bolster his failing car company :rolleyes: That’s going back to the future :p

So the truth is that many companied will do whatever they feel will earn them dollars even if it’s illegal. Sad that many companies lie and cheat.

These are not anecdotal as the ones I mentioned have all occurred and can be factual check should you desire. Such just highlights that companies lie and cheat…

Did Holden cheat about power figures for their L67 or LFX? Like you I doubt it but it’s a good pub discussion just like discussions on whether Ford is better than Holden… So let’s not be too self absorbed on this subject :p

Was I being flippant about the power part of the discussion, yeah… does it matter, nah… After all this thread is simply a continuation of a social media argument brought to this forum may be to bolster OP’s arguments on that social media thread… and it’s just like religious discussions (ford vs Holden), such discussions will never be resolved because facts don’t matter.

Guess I should have been more clear that it’s just my belief that companies lie and cheat so it’s not a stretch but power figures can be fudged somewhat.

But if power is being discussed, factory figures need to be compared apples to apples. That is what standard is used to measure HP (which has always been different between USA and EU/AA)…

Do I care about a supposed 30kw,… Nah not really, it’s just another pub styled thread that will never be resolved…

PS: there is never a quest for an opinion, only a quest for facts :p:p:p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think it is common knowledge, all dynos read differently.....Or isn't it too common

Take from this what you will over the topic at hand ;)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think it is common knowledge, all dynos read differently.....Or isn't it too common

Take from this what you will over the topic at hand ;)
Sure they are all different but the question here is suggesting they must all be reading at negative 30kw which is somewhat unlikely.
Maybe Holden designed software in the VE VF ecu's that detects when the car is on the Dyno and detuned itself to read 210 :)
Wow that's a really smart car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sure they are all different but the question here is suggesting they must all be reading at negative 30kw which is somewhat unlikely.
Maybe Holden designed software in the VE VF ecu's that detects when the car is on the Dyno and detuned itself to read 210 :)
Wow that's a really smart car.

Don't think all engines would read equally even on the same dynos.....

FWIW, yanks always think their engine produce the most power

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I just disagreed with your first line in that manufacturers certifications are independently verified.

There is no such legal requirement for independent verification. Legally it’s the manufacturers who self certifies and it’s there employees signing legal docs to say it’s all kosher. In fact one VW employee in the states was jailed for signing a doc certifying that VW cars met pollution requirements when he knew (or should have known) they didn’t…

My point was that such behaviours are sadly too common as private companies primary motives are profit… and people lie for money, heck they even do much worse than lie…

If profit wasn’t a companies primary motive, then they wouldn't lie on pollution certification documents (unlike all those manufacturers I listed) and they’d follow all consumer laws even if it impacts warranty costs negatively (unlike Ford Australia with heir DCT claim denials and they got lumped with a $10M fine for not following law).

Heck, one CEO even went as far as importing Heroin to make some quick cash to bolster his failing car company :rolleyes: That’s going back to the future :p

So the truth is that many companied will do whatever they feel will earn them dollars even if it’s illegal. Sad that many companies lie and cheat.

These are not anecdotal as the ones I mentioned have all occurred and can be factual check should you desire. Such just highlights that companies lie and cheat…

Did Holden cheat about power figures for their L67 or LFX? Like you I doubt it but it’s a good pub discussion just like discussions on whether Ford is better than Holden… So let’s not be too self absorbed on this subject :p

Was I being flippant about the power part of the discussion, yeah… does it matter, nah… After all this thread is simply a continuation of a social media argument brought to this forum may be to bolster OP’s arguments on that social media thread… and it’s just like religious discussions (ford vs Holden), such discussions will never be resolved because facts don’t matter.

Guess I should have been more clear that it’s just my belief that companies lie and cheat so it’s not a stretch but power figures can be fudged somewhat.

But if power is being discussed, factory figures need to be compared apples to apples. That is what standard is used to measure HP (which has always been different between USA and EU/AA)…

Do I care about a supposed 30kw,… Nah not really, it’s just another pub styled thread that will never be resolved…

PS: there is never a quest for an opinion, only a quest for facts :p:p:p
Man you must love the view of your own words. It's pretty clear you have zero understanding of the RVCS process. There is no point where a manufacturer can fudge the certification process unless it's hidden in software very deliberately like Dieselgate. There are govco inspectors and independent agents through the entire procedure after which further boards verify the captured information. You're suggesting the manufacturer says the certification source is 'trust me bro' and gets a stamp

The very reason the process exists is because manufacturers cheat and on occasion get away with it, that was never the point

Let's face it based on previous thread topics, facts are not your strong point. You have opinions on everything while most of us comment on things we actually have experience in