Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did Holden lie about the power output for the LFX V6?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The best bit is how this thread has turned into the exact same thing that’s going on with the “Camaro is better” internet fight.
Too many people have nothing to do.
Did you know Toyota derated the Camry V6 from 299kw to 205kw so it would appear lower than the Holden so people would not label the Camry as a hoons car and deter grandpas and new Australian immigrants from buying it? Amazing isn't it..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Man you must love the view of your own words. It's pretty clear you have zero understanding of the RVCS process. There is no point where a manufacturer can fudge the certification process unless it's hidden in software very deliberately like Dieselgate. There are govco inspectors and independent agents through the entire procedure after which further boards verify the captured information. You're suggesting the manufacturer says the certification source is 'trust me bro' and gets a stamp

The very reason the process exists is because manufacturers cheat and on occasion get away with it, that was never the point

Let's face it based on previous thread topics, facts are not your strong point. You have opinions on everything while most of us comment on things we actually have experience in
I’d admit I’m no expert in the certification process as it’s not my day job. But when I enquired about RCVS certification processes around tyres, brake and suspension as relating to the factory fitted staggered wheels to my vehicle (which are specified on the RVD), it was explained to me by those who work within Department of Infrastructure that the process was primarily checks of the manufacturers submitted documentation with little independent verification of any of the test results themselves (since the manufacturer is responsible for what they submit).

That there may be more to it with embedded observers of that verification work doesn’t really change the fact that where there is money to be made, corruption can exists. The more money the more possibility for corruption to exist (which is why dieselgate cheat software could sneak through the various processes globally).

Guess the crux is how the government ensures independence and whether having govco inspectors” embedded within the manufacturers processes is really independent verification or not, whether sighting some EU compliance and signing it off means anything. I’d think embedding of govco inspectors isn’t really independent and that signing feats are just an indicator of regulatory capture… And yes, it’s an opinion…

Sadly this embedding problem isn’t new. It’s the exact problem that has hopefully been learnt by the FAA after the Boeing 737max MCAS certification saga… embedded FAA employees for the certification didn’t work well enough to avoid two crashes that killed 346 people :rolleyes:

Really, if the automotive certification processes worked so well globally, you’d think that well publicised Janapese gentlemen’s agreement of 1990? - 2005? which limited vehicle power to 280HP would have been well exposed during that time as those vehicles were complied in different parts of the world… You’d expect that some regulator somewhere would have noticed the documented lies and taken some regulatory action but nada…

Was this 280hp gentlemen’s agreement limit real or just bollocks, really I don’t care, just as I don’t care for insults…

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
The best bit is how this thread has turned into the exact same thing that’s going on with the “Camaro is better” internet fight.
Well maybe I was exaggerating that the conversation I had in the YouTube comments was a 'fight"

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Man you must love the view of your own words. It's pretty clear you have zero understanding of the RVCS process. There is no point where a manufacturer can fudge the certification process unless it's hidden in software very deliberately like Dieselgate. There are govco inspectors and independent agents through the entire procedure after which further boards verify the captured information. You're suggesting the manufacturer says the certification source is 'trust me bro' and gets a stamp

The very reason the process exists is because manufacturers cheat and on occasion get away with it, that was never the point

Let's face it based on previous thread topics, facts are not your strong point. You have opinions on everything while most of us comment on things we actually have experience in
Govco doesn’t have as much oversight/input into things that you seem to think it does. Laissez-faire capitalism has been the order of the day for the last 40 years and right wing governments around the world have been tearing down government oversight departments for that whole time.

There’s a reason that it took a bunch of uni students to uncover the dieselgate scandal. If the authorities had been doing their job properly then they would have found it! But it’s a bit hard to do your job properly when corporate bribes (sorry “donations”) to politicians “encourage“ then to defund and dismantle any kind of government oversight of corporations.

https://www.eit.edu.au/the-college-students-who-exposed-volkswagen/

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
GM does 'farm it out' to the SAE to confirm their powertrains output.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This explains it. All of it.
Press play. You’re welcome.
https://starwarsintrogenerator.com/scroller?u=2akb68z9

IMG_3102.jpeg

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Govco doesn’t have as much oversight/input into things that you seem to think it does. Laissez-faire capitalism has been the order of the day for the last 40 years and right wing governments around the world have been tearing down government oversight departments for that whole time.

There’s a reason that it took a bunch of uni students to uncover the dieselgate scandal. If the authorities had been doing their job properly then they would have found it! But it’s a bit hard to do your job properly when corporate bribes (sorry “donations”) to politicians “encourage“ then to defund and dismantle any kind of government oversight of corporations.

https://www.eit.edu.au/the-college-students-who-exposed-volkswagen/
Dieselgate was one of the most sophisticated software configurations ever seen for such a purpose. It was to bypass a standard that only exists in California. It wasn't uncovered by a random do-gooder uni student, it was the ICCT engaging with CAFEE, which happens to belong to West Virginia tech. If anything it highlights the lengths of ingenuity and technical prowess required to bypass certification standards and inspections. If it was as simple as corruption, they'd just pay to play. Oversight goes far beyond governments it's why the RVCS engages independent agents and then there's mobs like the ICCT watching all of them

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A lot of motoring magazines test these things by running 0-100 and 80-120 times etc as well as 1/4 mile times with the swanky meters they put in cars to compare the new models to the older ones, If a car made 30kw more than expected it would have shown up somewhere.

Also, cars probably make a touch more than advertised because should it make less than advertised somebody would probably sue em for false advertising.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
I reckon car manufacturers are more likely to overstate reality.....the biggie would be overcooked fuel economy figures...probably all wind assisted...or taken on downhill slopes....lol

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Excuse my ignorance but if the 210kw LFX V6 engine in the SV6 is the same as the 240kw LFX in the Camaro isn't the difference in max power output down to the tune progammed into the ECU?