Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff swap to sedan

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Aussie v8- you don't have voices in your head? You should get that looked at bro the ones in my head assure me it's normal:p

Sl/enut- yea that's what I thought but this thread was seeming to disagree. Only asked as there's a few bargains on gumtree currently!

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
i dont know how you can say no wagon diffs fit easy into sedans because in my experience they fit fine and to change shock mounts is 10 minutes with a grinder and a welder or you can do what i did and push the rubber with the steel tube out of the sedan shocks and put wagon rubber in it and leave the wagon shock mount there wroked a treat for me even lowered with 8" rims and big tyres.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
i dont know how you can say no wagon diffs fit easy into sedans because in my experience they fit fine and to change shock mounts is 10 minutes with a grinder and a welder or you can do what i did and push the rubber with the steel tube out of the sedan shocks and put wagon rubber in it and leave the wagon shock mount there wroked a treat for me even lowered with 8" rims and big tyres.
From memory the early wagon diffs are wider than the VL sedan diffs. I haven't got a VL manual (apart from the Walkinshaw Group A manual that is) so I can't provide measurements. What I do know is on my car (VC SL/E of Bertie Street origin) I'd be hard pressed putting a VL diff with the Irmschirs and 225/60 tyres without the tyres rubbing on the bodywork. I know when towing the tyres can rub with the OEM diff so it will be much worse with a Wagon or VL diff.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Probably doing that, over time would do a lot of damage on the top shock points etc. As for welding bits on diff, not sure if its a ok able.

If you really want to, you could use the wagon diff housing, remove the wagon axles tubes, put sedan ones in etc. Wouldn't be easy or cheap to do though

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
From the Holden, not Gregory's etc., workshop manual.
VB Commodore: Tread (Rear)
8VK69 1417mm
8VL69 1417mm
8VX69 1422mm

VC Commodore: Tread (Rear)
8VK69 1416mm (Drum)
8VL69 1416mm (Drum)
8VK69 1424mm (Disc)
8VL69 1424mm (Disc)
8VX69 1422mm

8VK35 1440mm (Drum)
8VL35 1440mm (Drum)
8VK35 1447mm (Disc)
8VL35 1447mm (DIsc)

VH Commodore: No entry in the manual so it is no different to the VC.
VK Commodore: I haven't got a genuine manual on these (yet) but from memory (I did my apprenticeship on these things) there wasn't any difference at all apart from some later VKs come out with the VL type BW.

Those measurements are wheel tracks?,do you know if there is any variation between wagon and sedan wheel offsets?. Plus wheel track measurements aren't that accurate to be worried about 1mm are they?

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Those measurements are wheel tracks?,do you know if there is any variation between wagon and sedan wheel offsets?. Plus wheel track measurements aren't that accurate to be worried about 1mm are they?
You are very perceptive.

There is no difference in wheels from VB to VK not sure about VL, apart from being 13" for 4 cylinder, 14 inch for normal wheels and 15 for Alloys etc. The point is the VB Diff is not the same as the later VC-VK diffs, which are different again to VL diffs. I mentioned this because another poster mentioned he heard there were 3 different sizes, I then gave information from the manufacturers workshop manual to support that. We, as individuals, may not think it is worth worrying about but GMH certainly thought it was worthy of writing it down in the official workshop manual.

I don't know what state your in so I'll just go off NSW rego rules. When doing a rego check for road worthyness track is part of the check and they give measurements. Outside of those measurements by 0.5 of a mm and you will be knocked back by an RTA inspector, I have never seen an Authorised examiner yet knock it back but an RTA inspector will.