Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disconnecting Supercharger in VTV6 without removing it

Jordzz

VL Calais 5 Spd ### yea
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais 5spd VT S 5spd VX Berlina VP 5spd VS Cal
hey guys, i rekon im gna end up buying this 5SPD VT which happens to be supercharged.
dad doesnt feel confortable with me driving around with a supercharged car..so cut a long story short how can i disconnect the supercarger without totally removing it from the engine itself.
Is it as easy to just remove the belt if so will the car run smoothly ? (like a na v6)
if not how can I ?
cheers

VTvoodoo

99 VT S2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
im no mechanic, but id be guessing it wont run to good, wouldn't the compression ratio be differant than a NA version

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
i have been told you can disconnect them as can be done with a turbo on a turbo engine but at the end of the day the engine isnt really designed or made to run this way. if hes really worried about you driving a supercharged vehicle just ask why hes worried when its legal for you to own & drive the vehicle under Australian law. if the law thinks your ok with it then so should he...................unless hes seen how you drive & thinks your a lunatic. lol

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
is it a factory supercharger? or aftermarket. cuz supercharged v6's didnt come out in manual, so either its got an aftermarket charger, engine has been replaced with a super6 or gerbox has been changed. u should be able to just remove the supercharger belt which shouldnt run anything else. if its factory supercharged then it will have low compression which will make it slower without the supercharger (less power) than a standard v6.

actually not sure if the supercharger will restrict airflow if its not rotating......what kinda supercharger is it?

dannyn12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx supercharged
theres not point in buying a super6 if you not want a supercharger is there

Jordzz

VL Calais 5 Spd ### yea
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais 5spd VT S 5spd VX Berlina VP 5spd VS Cal
danny mate you got a point but I really want this car whther its s/c or not its monaul and a really good buy not the fact that it has a supercharger. I think it might be aftermarket sc or a whole sc l67 from a vx cos its an VT exec and they didnt come out with superchargers in the vt executives anyway did they?. so its either a L67 from an vx or someones stuck an aftermarket s/c on...
would it be easier if i stuck up a pic of the engine bay for yous ?
cheers

Attachments

• 22731617.jpg
    22731617.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6,730

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
dude,whichever it is,it looks damn clean & tidy(under the hood anyway). If the rest of the car matches this tidyness,damn em all to hell,buy the thing . just do the usual checks for service history,any reciepts for work done etc if nothing available just listen to your gut instinct

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
l67s arent that powerful anyway, tell your dad not to worry.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
If you disconnect the drive belt, how is the engine going to get air?
Its only what 160kw? Just tell your dad its got less power than a bog stock standard ve v6 omega.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
agree'd pick up some power figures from an L67 on paper, and some power figures from newer cars, im sure he'll see your point then.