Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Gee talk about not being around to ask questions of.. What undercoat would you recomnend to use? Im thinking i might use one to see if i can make my red a little darker.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
I was wondering the same thing (about the primer) but ended up asking the guys at the local paint place and apparently etch primer is the go, but you cant leave it for to long before you lay down the paint because they reckon it doesn't do much in the way of repelling water/corrosion etc.

dave39

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 5.00 L
Giving it a go

I read this post last week as I have a VK Berlina 5Lt which is mechanically very good, but paint is s**t. I had considered getting it painted, but the cost quickly ended that thought.

So after a week of thinking should I or should I not, I started yesterday and have laid down the first coat of paint as used here on the drivers side guard.
Not having any experience whatsover im sure going to face some challenges in the coming months, but ill give it a go and hope I can get a reasonable result.
Its lucky I have some spare time which I can now put to some good use.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Cool as dave make sure you post up some photos along they way in this thread, ill be doing the same next weekend if my paint arrives this week. I read probably 300 pages yesturday about roller painting cars.

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
Sorry all, haven't been past here to check out how the thread was going... I'll answer some of the questions...

Hows it lasting over the few months mate?
Paint is still holding up very well. I should really get a recent pic up of it as it's almost been a year since i finished.

just one question mate, what kind of primer would you recommend using under the paint?
Any normal primer you'd use before painting a car. I think it was said earlier but etch primer would work.

In the time it took Wilso to repaint his car, you could maybe of raised the money for a pro job. But...Wilso has saved himself a great amount of money and has painted his car for under $500. Plus he can say, "I did it myself!"

I started my paint job in Oct last year and I finished the paint job late last month. And even in the 4 months to do the job, there is no way I could have raised the money for a pro job, because I don't have that sort of desposible income! But I can also say, "I did it myself!" :thumbsup:
damn right man, damn right :yeah:

Wilso would a clear coat have given any extra protection and if so which type of clear coat.
No need to clear coat it.

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
Is thier any site of flaking on the paint job and how did you keep continuety in small areas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Ehehe thx for dropping by again wilso! Ive got all i need to start except for thinners and jars. Im waiting for my kit and bonnet to arrive but ill start sanding before they arrive so i can get the hang of the rolling art. I also bought some metallic flex to see how itd turn out. Ill put up pics as i get going.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Theres alot of stores that stock the paints in all different colors google around.

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
Is thier any site of flaking on the paint job and how did you keep continuety in small areas
Paint is not flaking anywhere. I used small foam brushes (craft brushes) in all the hard to get places.

I also bought some metallic flex to see how itd turn out. Ill put up pics as i get going.
I think you'll find that if your rolling the paint with metallic flakes in it you'll end up with roller patterns and the flakes wont be random, but I may be wrong, you'll just have to try it.

Hey wilso, can you use normal car paint instead of the marine paint you used? I can't find marine paint in my colour.
No it wont work.