Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does my VE SS look written off

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Here's a cautionary tale about a naive young apprentice lad who once trusted his insurance company to do the right thing by him, communicate well and represent him honestly. My first ever claim was against a driver who pulled out of a side road directly in front of me and I watched the back of his head as he paused looking left, blocking my lane on the two-lane road while I stood up on the pegs braking my Honda XL 250 straight into his B pillar then completing a summersault over the roof of his car after smacking both knees on my handlebars. No major or lasting damage to me, but the bike's wheel, both forks, bar, yokes, handle bar, headlight, 1 lever, and petrol tank were totalled. Totally the other drivers fault, didn't see motorbike, saw a gap instead. I had to pay the excess up front to lodge the claim (because 1970's insurance companies made whatever rules they wanted to) and I ended up having take out a loan to pay for the repairs myself so that I could have my less than 1 year old vehicle back quickly in order to be able to use it to get to and from work. It took just over 7 months of my constant badgering my insurance company who would keep passing me to different people "handling my case" until I finally got a cheque covering the repairs and my excess. It bounced. It was "stale" - had been written by the other driver's insurer and was dated over 6 months prior to me receiving it. Needless to say, a very angry 18 year old apprentice in filthy overalls stormed into the Auckland head office of that insurance company and created a noisy scene that lasted for more than an hour, refusing to leave until they provided cash to the amount of the cheque.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, insurance companies were outright arsehats back then… not a huge amount has changed for big $$ claims…

But gotta love the way you made them honour their cheque :cool:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Here's a cautionary tale about a naive young apprentice lad who once trusted his insurance company to do the right thing by him, communicate well and represent him honestly. My first ever claim was against a driver who pulled out of a side road directly in front of me and I watched the back of his head as he paused looking left, blocking my lane on the two-lane road while I stood up on the pegs braking my Honda XL 250 straight into his B pillar then completing a summersault over the roof of his car after smacking both knees on my handlebars. No major or lasting damage to me, but the bike's wheel, both forks, bar, yokes, handle bar, headlight, 1 lever, and petrol tank were totalled. Totally the other drivers fault, didn't see motorbike, saw a gap instead. I had to pay the excess up front to lodge the claim (because 1970's insurance companies made whatever rules they wanted to) and I ended up having take out a loan to pay for the repairs myself so that I could have my less than 1 year old vehicle back quickly in order to be able to use it to get to and from work. It took just over 7 months of my constant badgering my insurance company who would keep passing me to different people "handling my case" until I finally got a cheque covering the repairs and my excess. It bounced. It was "stale" - had been written by the other driver's insurer and was dated over 6 months prior to me receiving it. Needless to say, a very angry 18 year old apprentice in filthy overalls stormed into the Auckland head office of that insurance company and created a noisy scene that lasted for more than an hour, refusing to leave until they provided cash to the amount of the cheque.
It sounds like you got it (cash), did you?

Trofius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline sportwagon
It will be iffy my VF wagon got shunted by a cruiser right side was ok left side quarter and tailgate trashed floor and roof ok... Also front damage when I got pushed onto a towbar, but all up 28k of damage, 6months wait on parts, needed a complete left side ( couldn't just buy a quarter skin because all the inner strength bits are attached) be might VE different but apparently it's a **** of a job. I can send you pics of mine on Facebook if you want or its on a few face book pages

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It will be iffy my VF wagon got shunted by a cruiser right side was ok left side quarter and tailgate trashed floor and roof ok... Also front damage when I got pushed onto a towbar, but all up 28k of damage, 6months wait on parts, needed a complete left side ( couldn't just buy a quarter skin because all the inner strength bits are attached) be might VE different but apparently it's a **** of a job. I can send you pics of mine on Facebook if you want or its on a few face book pages
I was of the understanding that if you hit from behind and shunted into the car in front it's automatically a stat write off, unless laws are different re this in other states?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
It sounds like you got it (cash), did you?
Yes. They had to send someone out to get it after I refused any cheque they offered. I had accounts overdue that needed reconciling that day. I also wanted to pay out the loan which was becoming a burden. Added to that there was the embarassment of having had my cheques dishonoured because the one they gave me had bounced due to their negligence.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
The others guys insurance company pays your insurance company. so market value doesn't come into it. It's what your insurance company says is what goes.

Without looking underneath or seeing the roof, hard to say...Wait to see what the panel beaters/insurance company says
That’s correct re market value
His insurance company covers ALL your damage
Market value refers to his personal vehicle
Good luck with the claim
I hope you get your car back

tjoel95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt l67
No it doesent because his insurance is only third party so only covers me I think

tjoel95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt l67
Hey mate msg me on face book under joel tingwell yeah my mate the panel beater was saying both inner qtrs need too be replaced with 2x rails so will
Cost a lot i imagine