Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E2 Senator or E3 R8?

matt_VE_Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
Hi all, I'm trying to choose between a 2009 E2 Senator Signature with 25,000k on the clock for $65k and a 2011 E3 R8 with only 3,000km for $65k. I can't afford a 2011 senator so the R8 is the next best thing in a new model, but I prefer the Senator for heaps of reasons. Would you buy an 09 Senator or a 2011 R8? I prefer the Senator over the GTS so the GTS is not an option.

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
Do your shopping mate u can pick up a new E3 R8 Auto for 65k check care sales of the cheapest R8 you can find print it out and take to your dealer.
Thats what i done and they matched it some didnt cause i wanted a diff colour but a dealer out there would want your business

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Yep as Homer said do your homework & you'll get a ripper deal, i paid 65k for my 11' R8 Man with leather & 20's was brand new. I reckon 65K is asking abit much for an 09 E2 senator so i wouldnt waste my time with it, also it doesnt hurt to look interstate as most dealers are willing to do a good deal inc delivery.

3 examples:

2011 HSV CLUBSPORT R8 E Series 3 Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au 1247 1252 1282 4294965530 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,70000~1|Year:2011,Max
2011 HSV CLUBSPORT R8 E Series 3 Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au 1247 1252 1282 4294965530 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,70000~1|Year:2011,Max
2011 HSV CLUBSPORT R8 E Series 3 Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au 1247 1252 1282 4294965530 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,70000~1|Year:2011,Max

Last edited:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I'd love to have your problem OP :).

Another vote for the brand new R8 imo.

matt_VE_Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
Thanks heaps for all of your input. It's much appreciated. So the R8 seems to be the choice. Did you both choose the R8 because of cost compared to the GTS? Do you have any negatives for the R8. Things I should be aware of? And how much do you think a 2011 R8 would depreciate as soon as I drive it out of the lot? The reason I ask is because the Senator WAS worth 84k new in 09 and has already dropped to 65k. Is it better to pay 65k for something that was worth 84k or buy something that costs 64k retail but might be instantly "worth" say 55k?
Cheers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
You are buyimg a 3 year old car dont do it.
$65,000 is alot

A new R8 is a much better choise a feeling of a new car that you can not buy. The senator is great and looks amazing but..... Its an older car.

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
I'm envious of your "problem". If I help you with it, I'm gonna require some sort of commission...

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Thanks heaps for all of your input. It's much appreciated. So the R8 seems to be the choice. Did you both choose the R8 because of cost compared to the GTS? Do you have any negatives for the R8. Things I should be aware of? And how much do you think a 2011 R8 would depreciate as soon as I drive it out of the lot? The reason I ask is because the Senator WAS worth 84k new in 09 and has already dropped to 65k. Is it better to pay 65k for something that was worth 84k or buy something that costs 64k retail but might be instantly "worth" say 55k?
Cheers.

I understand what you are saying, but that arguement can be used for ever. Buy a 5 year old car and it's depreciated even more..... 'saving' you even more. Also, the drop in price for the 09 Senator example you've given isn't enough to warrant it's purchase in my opinion. The first question you need to ask yourself is whether you want a new car or a used car? Trying to compare old vs new like you are doing is a circular arguement that will only do your head in.

Answer these honestly:

1) What are the most important attributes you want in the car model chosen? The R8 and Senator are completely different beasts. You said in your first post that the Senator is preferred "for heaps of different reasons". That sounds pretty definitive to me.
2) Since the features of the Senator appeal to you the most, the next question is what can you buy with the funds allowed? Is brand new available (unlikely), or is 2nd hand ok?
3) Will you be happy with 2nd hand, or are you prepared to pay a premium for new? This is important, because if the Senator is something you really want, but 2nd hand is an issue... maybe a budget rethink is in order.
4) If 2nd hand IS suitable, then why are you even considering an R8 brand new? Buying a car isnt about spending the exact amount of money you want to spend, its about buying the exact right car for the right price. What you spend (within reason) is secondary to buying the right car you want and can afford.
5) Have you test driven any of the cars you've considered purchasing? Maybe once you drive the different models, you'll narrow it down to exactly which model you want.... then its just a matter of deciding how old you are prepared to go (or even buy new).

At the end of the day, our opinions on which car you buy mean jackshit. You are the one that's handing over the cash, so you better be damn sure its the exact one YOU want. What if we all said, "Buy a fully optioned Prius mate!" You'd tell us to get stuffed! But really, what's the difference in that scenario? We are still suggesting you buy a car you dont really want right? It's just that I've made the example a little more obvious.

Your car, your choice mate. But if I had $65k to spend, I'm not too sure I'd buy a Holden anyway.

If depreciation is important to you (and it would be to me if spending that amount of money), I'd probably go for the Senator. But if someone was handing me the keys to either car and money wasnt important, the R8 would win hands down.

matt_VE_Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
Thanks for your time UFO! You have made some very useful points for me to consider. As I have never bought a brand new car nor have I ever spent close to the price I'm considering, I'm just seeking opinions and suggestions from people who have already justified the purchase of their HSV's. I don't know anyone personally that owns one.
The reason that I am comparing an R8 is because I asked myself what else could I buy for the price of an 09 Senator and am I making the right choice. Just part of the research process.
The Senator appeals to me because of its luxury features and intended market. I am not a "driver" who needs a GTS or the most powerful and angry car I can find. I want something that ticks all the boxes straight out of the box and i don't have to change. The Senator does that more than an SS, R8 or GTS.
The Senator is my preferred option it's just a big expense and a big commitment.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
What about a Grange? They are around the same price as the Senator, even cheaper if your willing to travel outside QLD to pick it up.