Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec engine mounts?

smi5575

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh
Where are they? I inspected a vx v6 not long ago and was wondering where they were? And how many?

And how do you know if they are worn down? I know in my 1st car (nissan) i could see one of the 4 easily and you could tell how worn it was?

Obviously you will notice a difference driving quality with worn mounts, But I would like to know how to visually inspect them if possible???

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Where are they? I inspected a vx v6 not long ago and was wondering where they were? And how many?

And how do you know if they are worn down? I know in my 1st car (nissan) i could see one of the 4 easily and you could tell how worn it was?

Obviously you will notice a difference driving quality with worn mounts, But I would like to know how to visually inspect them if possible???
Look under your right header down at the chassis and for the left its near the air con compressor. I assume a tell tail sign they are rooted is the sump touches the cross member like mine does.

I don't think them looking over cracked is a good thing either.

matqld

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/vx ls1
the engine mounts are below the eqaust manifolds.there is two 'one on each side'. the rubber may have to much movement or perishing or cracked.. i think oil is no good for them either if you have oil leaks in your motor... you may be able to see the damage or feel the movement.. im not sure if you can see them through the engine bay or not its been a while since i had a v6-but im sure if you had a small mirror you would be able to..or you may have to look from under the car.. this is just wat popped into my mind when i read ur question.. im far from a mechenic..

smi5575

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh
No worries thanks for the advice. I wish they were easier to see lol.. When im looking next time I will do the "engine mount test" basically you put you foot on the break and the car in gear and push the car forward slightly, you want the engine to stay firm and no big movements, if it jumps around then, they will need replacing..

But thanks guys

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just get under the car and have a look??? They're easily noticable. If your sump is touching the crossmember, then they're definately in need of replacement. But also if they have large cracks in them they could do with replacing too.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
how much do they usually cost for a new set of engine mounts? i will need to replace mine before i get back on the road