Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Gremlins! No spark on my 5.0L

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
Well I think the electrical gremlins are out to F me off!

Got home last night, installed new battery & repaired alternator. I also installed a brand new TPS & IAC. Started the car and it was running like a dream. Shut it off and went inside for tea. Came out an hour later to take it for a test drive and now it wont bloody start! Cranks over no problem, but no spark. Threw a timing light on it and there is definately no spark at the plugs. Havent gone as far to check to see if there is spark coming directly out of the coil.

When I installed the new IAC and went to put the throttle body on, I had a lot of issues getting the plug onto the IAC due to the limited length of the wire. I did try and pull on the wiring assy to get some more purchase but it hardly moved as its all tied in with the injector wiring. I cant imagine this would have caused the problem.

So would this just be a coincidence and my coil has now shagged out?

Does the IAC wiring have a direct link to the coil wiring?

I HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES!!!!! OVER THEM!!!!! PLEASE HELP

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Have you checked the error codes ?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check that the wires are still connected to the coil and the side of the distributor.

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
Have you checked the error codes ?

Not yet, gave up after an hour trying to work it out. I will check them tonight after work

Check that the wires are still connected to the coil and the side of the distributor.

hmmm, wires on the coil definately are still connected. I will give it my best crack to check the distributor but gee.....not much room down the back of the engine! Stupid bloody Holdens and there limited space for crucial components. Only worse design I have seen on a Holden engine other than this is the thermostat housing at the rear of the alloytec engines!!

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
OK, all plugs are connected on dizzy and on coil. No error codes. Checked the spark from coil with timing light...nothing. So I have narrowed it down to coil or wiring. Or is there anything else I should check. I have checked all fuses too.

Dam you electrical gremlins!!!!

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Check for power to the coil, could also be the ignition module playing up.

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
Check for power to the coil, could also be the ignition module playing up.

Yeah I was just reading about ignition modules. Dam they are expensive! Especially if thats not the issue.

mrenvied8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 black vs 5ltr commodore
If not wiring or coil, I'm sure u have seen it on here n I also have had big issues with 2 vs v8 Commodores I own now n my old one, but ah check ur ignition module, at one stage if I disconnected the black plug off The module n gave it a wiggle in n play with it, it. Would start, then die like urs did, but it was totally random walked into me mates walked out n dead, spent the money got it fixed n she running extremely well. hopefully urs ain't this bad but mine ended up being ignition module coil and distributed were all shagged, as I said hope ura ain't this bad n hopefully this helps,.

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
If not wiring or coil, I'm sure u have seen it on here n I also have had big issues with 2 vs v8 Commodores I own now n my old one, but ah check ur ignition module, at one stage if I disconnected the black plug off The module n gave it a wiggle in n play with it, it. Would start, then die like urs did, but it was totally random walked into me mates walked out n dead, spent the money got it fixed n she running extremely well. hopefully urs ain't this bad but mine ended up being ignition module coil and distributed were all shagged, as I said hope ura ain't this bad n hopefully this helps,.

Just did a test on the power going to the coil. Here' what I did:

Turned the ignition into the on position, grab my test light and earthed one wire and then touched the positive wire onto both terminals on the coil. Both lit up so that suggests that the coil is getting power but not creating spark. Well thats my guess anyway. I did try the same test with the ignition off and both failed to light up which would be correct for having the ignition off.

If I am getting power to the coil, does that mean the ignition module is ok? Im guessing if the module is stuffed you wouldnt get any power to the coil.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The coil should be powered from the EFI relay, it shares a common power wire with the ignition module and the injectors i think.

Sounding like the ignition module, still could be a crook coil though.