Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine knock

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Hi guys,
I looked at other threads like this but i couldn't find one that sounded like the same problem as mine. Anyway my VR has developed an engine knock. It seems to be coming from the passengers side of the engine well thats what it sounds like from inside the car. It only happens on idle and first gear but i was thinking maybe it just gets fast and i can't hear it over the engine noise. its not a very fast knock probably about 2-3 knocks per second.

I dont know where to start. Does anyone know what it may be? I want to fix it before it gets worse.

Any help would be great!

Cheers!

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
could be a few things, but all comes down to internal engine noise and motor out

could be big end berings or little end berings
also could be cam berings or timing related
also could be the ballance shaft berings which is common on these, my vr makes a verry louid all the time, just waiting for the weather to cool down before i do an engine change

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Ok, i dont have the money for an engine change at the moment. If it helps i started my car and opened the bonnet to see if i figure out what was wrong. I couldn't hear it when i put my head in the engine bay but i can hear it when i stand near the passenger door and when i sit in the car.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could also be a leak from the exhaust manifold...they can sound like a knock. they can leak where the downpipe joins the cat as well plus cats can fall apart internally and rattle (though this ain't the noise you describe)Also try removing one plug lead at a time and see if the knock goes away - that will tell you which cylinder is affected. If it turns out to be a bigend and you don't have the cash right now I'd go to a heavier oil ....maybe that 30/70 stuff. That will quieten it a bit and if you nurse it along it may last for years.
Good Luck.

JJ's VR

VRHLDN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8lt Supercharged 163.8kW & VS sII HSV Senator
Worth while checking engine mounts. Get a long pry bar, or length of steel, anything you can get your hands on, wedge it between engine block and mount on each side and look and listen for excess movement or knock sound that you descibe. Look for cracks in mount also.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The most common reason for a knock in the V6 is the harmonic balancer failing but it tends to go pretty fast so I don't know about this one with just a slight knock. Stll it's worth have a look at it (look for rubber falling out of the back of it)

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Could also be a leak from the exhaust manifold...they can sound like a knock. they can leak where the downpipe joins the cat as well plus cats can fall apart internally and rattle (though this ain't the noise you describe)Also try removing one plug lead at a time and see if the knock goes away - that will tell you which cylinder is affected. If it turns out to be a bigend and you don't have the cash right now I'd go to a heavier oil ....maybe that 30/70 stuff. That will quieten it a bit and if you nurse it along it may last for years.
Good Luck.

Well my exhaust manifold on the passenger side does have a small crack in it so that may be it.

I will try all the other tests and get some heavier oil.

Thanks guys.