Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV cars.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tesla seem do be doing fine with their semi's Tesla Trucks , but i think aviation will tend towards hydrogen

But how wide spread is there use?

The US trucking industry is a bit different to NZ, you have truckies that drive all over the US. They live out of there trucks driving their hours and parking up at truck stops over night where as a lot of the trucks here in NZ are owner drivers with relief drivers, the owner will do the day shift and the relief driver the night shift. The truck is moving day and night so no time to re-charge for half a day.

I'm also not sure about how well those Tesla trucks do in the real world, sure they love the US highways but how appropriate would they be on our roads or in the hills?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you notice, mainly European cars have space saver spares, or none....That's because the towns are so close...

Same principal with battery powered trucks..Suited to countries where towns are close together....Aussieland (not too sure about NZ) have towns that are wide spread....So makes life extremely difficult to operate them successfully, especially at this stage...Maybe decades down the track, it'll be different...Time will tell there though

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@Immortality I suppose when large companies like Pepsi using Tesla Trucks then there seems to be a place, but as pointed out fossil fuels are finite, so we have to find and alternative regardless off all the other reasons to change. We only have a handful of alternatives, renewables, which does include hydrogen as it is being developed as a green fuel, so really all told we don't have many choices at this stage.
EDIT: Another large company Amazon using electric, using what could be considered a large EV. And our own Aus Post utilizing electric.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If you notice, mainly European cars have space saver spares, or none....That's because the towns are so close...

And Holden were stupid enough to make the VE Commodore with a “space saver” spare as the default option. Thing is it saved exactly zero space as the tub for a full size spare is still there anyway! First thing I did when I got the SSV is turf the stupid space saver for a full sized spare.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
This place has been doing a bit in the Trucking side of it.
The part I'm confused by is it a refit of the driveline or built from factory as if it was the first bit then it seems wasteful?

https://www.sea-electric.com/en_au/

They certainly have a place.
Ie an electric Bucket Truck. No noisy diesel running a PTO at 2am fixing a power fault.
Pros and Cons really. Just need the right thing fit for the right service

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
@Immortality I suppose when large companies like Pepsi using Tesla Trucks then there seems to be a place, but as pointed out fossil fuels are finite, so we have to find and alternative regardless off all the other reasons to change. We only have a handful of alternatives, renewables, which does include hydrogen as it is being developed as a green fuel, so really all told we don't have many choices at this stage.
EDIT: Another large company Amazon using electric, using what could be considered a large EV. And our own Aus Post utilizing electric.

I'm not saying electric doesn't have it's place but we shouldn't just be throwing electric at everything without doing some thinking too.

NZ posties have been using electric carts for a couple of years now here too, long gone are the days of the hot posties on the old push bike.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'm not saying electric doesn't have it's place but we shouldn't just be throwing electric at everything without doing some thinking too.
Tell our Gubbermint that.
The only thinking they do, is thinking we are all gullible fools that believe their socially PC and climate corrective action BS.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Pretty sure BYD mostly use lithium iron phosphate batteries, which do have a lot lower risk of catching fire. Of course it’s a double edged sword because lifepo batteries have a lower energy density too.

I'm not sure, I just heard that's what they claimed.
I'm not buying a BYD so I never looked into it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Tesla seem do be doing fine with their semi's Tesla Trucks , but i think aviation will tend towards hydrogen

The Tesla truck can only take a small amount of weight compared to ICE trucks.
This isn't a bad thing, depending on what load you're carting.
Steel sheet rolls, you're using ICE, insulation, a Tesla truck will be fine.

Planes will always be jet powered, they might shift to synthetic fuel.