Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 flat spot, changed ignition and injectors now what?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
Happy days all round, got her back from the mechanic yesterday. He didn't do the leak down test instead he cleared eleventyseven fault codes, readjusted the timing and changed the map sensor(only charged me $50 so very happy, shout out to mick at triple m performance in Tamworth) . It ran a lot better but still had a bit of a flat spot. Today I was tapping a thread into the manifold for a thermo switch and thought I'd redo all the earths. Took it for a drive and no sign of any flat spots. Hoo-f@#king-ray :) got it booked in next Saturday for a power run on the dyno. Then send the printout and memcal back to the1 and happy days :) thanks for your help and patience guys.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Well, I feel a whole lot better now, knowing what the problem was.
In all the cars I've owned, I've NEVER had a distributor come loose.

Thank God it was hardware, not software.
As i would have to have some how gotten it to Melbourne, and it would have cost a fortune.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I've read that the 304 distributor cap only goes on one way.
But in my haste getting it off, I'm not sure which way it goes back on.

I tried it both ways and it fits both ways. :hmm:
I've already fitted the leads to it and are correct to ever which way it goes.....12784563.

Confirmed it with this Post....
When you place the leads on the distributor as per the plan detailed earlier, the clip holding the distributor cap on needs to be between the number 1 and 2 lead positions and likewise on the other side of the distributor the clip needs to be between the number 4 and 5 lead positions.

Anyone have any information on this????

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When you look at the bottom of the cap, there are two lugs that fit into the distributor on opposite sides of the cap, one big and one small. The biggest issue is that when adjusting timing, people turn the distributor by the cap, this rounds off the corners of the lugs and causes the cap to move on the distributor. Check that first.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Sorry....meant to update earlier.

All is fine. Got the cap on. Replaced the cap and rotor button, as well as the plug leads, with Eagle Eliminator 9mm.
Took just about all day yesterday with that manifold in the way, removing hoses and such and without a Crows foot spanner,
I had to cut a 14mm spanner in half, just to tighten the distributor clamp bolt.

It's set at TDC, awaiting timing adjustment.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
hopefully the1 can do something with my memcal. A few more ponys would be nice:-/

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR