Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Filter How-To (VN - VS)

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
vy is the same concept, accept there arnt hose clamps that hold it on there are actual connectors there, there are 2 ways to get it off, 1 is to buy the special removal tool(makes it alot easier) or 2, just use ur hands and pry the clip bits(youll see what i mean when u see it) together then push the filter in wards and then out it should pop, thats how we do it at work, can take a bit to do n just make sure u dont get fuel in your eye, it hurts..lol

Nick

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Going to attempt this on my VT tomorrow. Hope its the same concept if you say the VY is? Anyways would you recommend a full fuel tank when its done? Ive ran out of fuel before up a hill..... the tank was reading just under quater and when i put fuel in it , it wouldnt start.... it had to be on flat ground with half a tank of fuel....
I also heard its not a good idea to run the injectors dry cous it can f**k them? (might not be true) but would it also be safer to clamp-off the fuel line on both sides to remove the filter, keeping "less air" in the fuel line?

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
if it keeps running why didnt you just remove the plug from where it plugs into the fuel pump ?? makes sense if you were having trouble at one end of the loom go to the other. and this is a real easy job to do guys take 5-10 mins max. oh just thought id add took my vl about 5 mins to cut out, spluttered and stuff for a few mins but took awhile untill it actually died

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Funny, my manual doesn't say to remove negative from battery terminal. Anyway i didn't blow myself up so is all good. I wish i had found this guide earlier, would have made things much easier!

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Did mine today while I had the opportunity of my car up on a hoist. Didnt bother running the fuel out. Just undid the clamp on either side closest to the pump, took out the front side, took out backside, put new one in back, then front, did up clamps, bingo. Took about 1 min.

da_warped_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Can I get to the fuel filter by removing the rear right side tyre or do I have to get underneath the car?

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
what difference will changing the fuel filter make to your car, how will you know if yours need changing and how much will it cost?

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Can I get to the fuel filter by removing the rear right side tyre or do I have to get underneath the car?

Probably but just, it will be a bodgy job otherwise.

Jack car from diff and put on stands or just right hand side or drive up onto ramps. Then simply replace.

what difference will changing the fuel filter make to your car, how will you know if yours need changing and how much will it cost?

Cleaner fuel entering engine, efficient filtering of fuel, improved economy. You know when it's
not running smoothly and/or fuel efficiency. It will cost $10 maximum for the filter. It will take 1-2mins to replace. Is it worth it? For the price and effort required most definetly.

Note, usually people remove the relay for the fuel pump or disconnect battery to depressurize system but I never do because only a small amount of fuel leaks when lines are disconnected.

sirjolly18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden VZ v6 ute.
did mine when first purchased and with never doing before found to be easy enough. got told to remove fuel pump fuse then run the car. Ran for less then 1 min and relieved pressure from tank. Having a ute made easy to access and only problems was old clamps, old filter came of replaced with new. not much fuel came out either. 20min all done. Just had to replace the fuse and check for leaks, leaked so moved the clamps around a bit until stopped. Next change will replace the rubber.