Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel gauge error, Service vehicle soon.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The only thing thats simple here is your thought process. A scan tool gives you a trouble code, for example IPC can bus no comms with ECU. It doesnt tell you why theres no comms or how to fix it. So you have to test the ECU for power and earth, check all the wiring, check connectors for corroded or backed out pins and so on. If it could tell you the problem it would, dont you think Holden wants problems solved as quickly as possible considering it has to reimburse dealers for time spent on warranty issues? Dont you think the dealer would want to fix the problem as quickly as possible to be able to book in as many other jobs as possible?

But lets not allow facts to ruin your little fairytale now hey?

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
The only thing that's simple here is your thought process..... But lets not allow facts to ruin your little fairytale now hey?

Fair call RiCeY.

The more advanced you get with vehicle technology, the more issues that are likely to arise, whether it be connectivity, sensors, etc.

Comparing the ECU in a 19yr old vehicle with a current day vehicle is like chalk & cheese. The computer even in an old Commie is more powerful than what they used to get man walking on the moon.

If people just want the dealer to throw new parts at every problem rather than to identify the fault so it doesn't reoccur - then everyone's repair bills will go through the roof.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If they can make these computers they can also make a gismo that will tell you what's wrong with it. everything you said i already knew but it doesn't mean I like it. You'll agree that repairing a 30 year old car was a fairly easy task, why can't it continue to be like that? because they want to stop the back yard mechanic from fixing it, it's all about the money. The simple job of replacing the spark plugs is now a couple of hours job, you have to remove half the engine for a cost of $350 or more, every little beep that comes up on the computer takes 2 hours to check, what's your hourly rate?? I suppose it's great for you. Hey, no fairytale here, I just don't have to be happy with it, so you keep taking your time to check all these little things, the more time you take the more money in your little pocket.

A computer cant tell you where a short in wiring is, only that there is one. Because a 30 year old car doesnt have computer networks built into the car consisting of low medium and high speed can bus networks, kilometers of wiring all hidden away under trim, seats and panels, dozens of modules controlling all different parts of the car and communicating with each other. Spark plugs dont take 2 hours either, it requires removal of the intake manifold on the V6 which is probably an extra 15 minutes. DTCs take 5 minutes to retrieve from the vehicle, some are simple to diagnose, some are time consuming. And your comment of taking my time to make more money is retarded, I earn the same amount of money no matter how long diagnostic jobs take.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
My cars 6 years old and i havent had to replace any electrical components apart from an oil pressure sensor so Im not sure where you get every 4 years from? ECU is located on the front of the engine drivers side.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Why are you looking at the left of the engine when the ECU is on the front of the engine?