Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel return line inside tank

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
I would not recommend using zip ties. My Statesman had the Zip tie fitted to the hose from the previous owner/s for the fuel pump unit end and still had no power on RH turns. I simply replaced it with a worm drive hose clamp and never had a problem since.

FATfatboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV M6 ute
Hi guys. I've been researching this for days now. I've got a 1993 VQ Caprice, which I'm using as a Camp Quality esCarpade bash vehicle. Just got home on Sunday from the Broken Hill to Albury, via Port Augusta run this year (about 2000km of hot weather, gravel roads). I live in Wollongong, and it was 4,400km total round trip distance. So much fun. Anyway, I have fuel pick-up problems. After 60-odd litres used, I start to get fuel starvation issues when cornering (80L tank). I was getting fuel starvation problems while driving also-particularly when hot weather, which were resolved by switching off for 30 sec & restarting. Seemed like an intermittent fuel blockage issue, or perhaps problems with fuel return filling the swirl pot. I plan to drop the tank out & flush it, and check all the fuel feed, return & vent pipes. I replaced the fuel pump just before leaving, about 3 weeks ago, and rejoined the broken fuel return pipe just inside the 5 bolt flange plate. Anything I should look for? Am I on the right track here?
Cheers guys, Mike

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need to make sure that the fuel return hose is connected to the swirl pot as well as to the fuel sender. Check out the diagram in post #3.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
My Fathers VR Caprice now shows around 1/16th tank when empty, drove me insane testing this that etc to the point where it would not go and barley started, till I climbed under and tapped the tank. I had bled the tank dry trying to diagnose it lol.
Car displayed similar symptoms as you describe.
Fix was to not let the tank drop below 1/4 empty.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
My Fathers VR Caprice now shows around 1/16th tank when empty, drove me insane testing this that etc to the point where it would not go and barley started, till I climbed under and tapped the tank. I had bled the tank dry trying to diagnose it lol.
Car displayed similar symptoms as you describe.
Fix was to not let the tank drop below 1/4 empty.

You can fix it. To be honest saying that the trick is to not drop below 1/4 tank is not very helpful.

brokenback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Digging up old thread.....helping young friend with VL (6cly) fuel issues.

Had to remove and drain tank as some idiots put water and whatever in it. Noticed swirl pot fuel return hose not connected in tank. I note I need a special submersible fuel hose (for this) but is there any easy way to replace the hose or do the clamps in tank? I'm poor at welding, don't have mig....and big fat hands. Will another fuel tank (that does not have this rubber hose) fit? Does it really matter if I leave it off? Apart from the pot chamber probably missing out on the lowest fuel pick-up.

Any insight appreciated.

edit: sorry should have moved to VL forum but the info I needed in this this so left it here.

edit:
Will VR/VS quick release in tank hose fit this swirl pot hose? I know these tanks have the fuel return piped to the access panel...but thinking I can do this if I can get a hose to "click" on to the swirl pot barb.

Last edited:

brokenback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ok just to finish this up...I removed the fuel tank took it (and in-tank fuel return hose I got from Bursons, $25) to Brown Davis (Melbourne), cost was $150 to cut open, fit hose and re-weld. Brown Davis do a lot of custom 4wheel drive, racing and custom tanks. So pretty much the best place to take it.

FWIW

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
VL/VN/VP didn't have the return hose connected to the swirl pot, it sits over the top of it in those.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
VL/VN/VP didn't have the return hose connected to the swirl pot, it sits over the top of it in those.

my vp does...... return line connects to a fitting that pushes return fuel through a venturi and into the swirl pot and this pulls surrounding fuel with it when it gets under 1/4 tank.

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My car had this drama many years ago and i found my 12yr old sons hand could fit inside so he did it in about 5 mins and I gave him 20 bucks...he was wrapped and so was i.
hes grown much since then so I had to do my next car like this
Using submersile fuel line from repco and I made up this tool to undo hose clamp.
Hose clamp on swirl pot has a hex headed bolt you can undo (and do up) with a small ring spanner ..you can undo it and working with a few long bits of sheetmetal and coathanger wire do it up again

slip spanner end of tool through sender opening and let the spanner hang under gravity slip it over the hex of the hose clamp and push the whole thing away from you and the clamp bolt will turn a bit ...take spanner off hex and let it go vertical and put over hex of bolt again and repeat and do that a couple of times until it loosens ...enough to release its grip on the hose.twist hose to break seal on fitting on swirl pot fitting and gently pull hose off.
Using petroleum jelly smear inside of new hose and with a bit of stiff coathanger wire bent in a circle on the end slip over hose and put new hose over swirl pot fitting...put hose clamp over hose and push down until in correct position and do up hose clamp using technique above with tool but pulling towards you to do up.
I did mine in about 1 hour with some swearing but it worked fine and I didnt have to cut/weld /take it anywhere...been good for about a year ..can run the tank to nearly dead empty...or at least near that amount.