Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel return line inside tank

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
my vp does...... return line connects to a fitting that pushes return fuel through a venturi and into the swirl pot and this pulls surrounding fuel with it when it gets under 1/4 tank.

Must've started doing it for VP then, I've done quite a few VL/VN's and the return pipe was a hard piece of hose positioned over the top of the swirl pot in all of them.
Can't see anyone doing it as a repair as it'd have been just as easy to reconnect to the venturi after the amount of work it'd take to connect it to the metal pipe on the tank itself on those.
Assumed VP would have been the same as VN.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I know this is an oldie, but in gods name why didn't Holden just have a larger hole in the tank and thus then have a larger diameter plate on the sender / pump assembly, this way access would've been far easy in service, and to make matter worse the oddly supplied a new piece of hose with the quick release fitting on it as a serviceable part when in their Service Manual they claim that hose is not a serviceable part. It seems they didn't have a clue about this until much later in the VN to VS's serviceable life.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I know this is an oldie, but in gods name why didn't Holden just have a larger hole in the tank and thus then have a larger diameter plate on the sender / pump assembly, this way access would've been far easy in service, and to make matter worse the oddly supplied a new piece of hose with the quick release fitting on it as a serviceable part when in their Service Manual they claim that hose is not a serviceable part. It seems they didn't have a clue about this until much later in the VN to VS's serviceable life.
I think it was done like this for ease of assembly. The return line to swirl pot should be a separate line and not part of the pump/level sender assembly. Or the hole could have been made a bit bigger for adult sized hands.

Is it same or similar on VT onwards or was the problem fixed ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I did a VT one a month or so ago.....The whole swirl pot, fuel sender unit, fuel pump assembley is one piece....It comes out easily...Replacing the pump once you figure out how the swirl pot comes apart to be able to remove the fuel pump, is as simple as removing pump and putting the pump back in....All the fuel lines go into the top of the swirl pot, which are exposed at the top of the tank, which is how the unit comes out. So yes it is easy for adult and kids hands :) Here's an exploded view of the swirl pot, to help picture what I have written...The top seperates from the base, to get to the fuel pump

1602034733808.png

I did stuff up when putting the swirl pot back in....The fuel sender unit is on the side of the pot and when putting the pot back into the tank, I caught the sender unit, which now means the fuel gauge doesn't read under 1/2 a tank.. :rolleyes: Considering the car is getting sold in the next month, doubt I'll take the tank out to fix it....The new owner can do that..

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I was cracking up about these tanks earlier this year.
I found the castlemain rod shop sell a retro fit VT style unit that has a ring that can be welded in.
I couldn't attach my return hose so I just put it on the unit next to the pump. I'll buy the VT style one when I can be stuffed fixing it properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah but does that mean using the problematic VT sender?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah but does that mean using the problematic VT sender?

What problem do the VT's have with the sender? The only thing I struck is, it is located on the side of the swirl pot and when I was putting the swirl pot back in, stupid me caught it on the tank and bent the wire arm slightly, therefore not allowing the full gauge to go below 1/2 tank.

Just have a look at the picture I posted up and you should see where the sender unit is located and understand how it can get caught on the tank if you're not paying attention

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think it was the vx sender, that had the problems?

Ok, I thought the problem ones started in VT? From what I understand is aftermarket ones are junk and those who have gone down that line, because of the price of an original unit have mostly had problems.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Ok, I thought the problem ones started in VT? From what I understand is aftermarket ones are junk and those who have gone down that line, because of the price of an original unit have mostly had problems.
I replaced fuel pump/ sender back in 2013. Don't know if it was aftermarket or not. Couldn't find any brand name on it.
Haven't had any problem with it, yet.