Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fully synthetic.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Are there any real benefits in using this type of oil, my 08 VE is due for service shortly and just wanted to know what you guys think of fully synthetic oils.

Do they justify the extra cost involved.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

Mike.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
synthetic better as more uniform film protection on parts. mineral has impurities.

good explaination here:
Synthetic vs. Mineral Oils

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Thanks for the fast reply and useful link.

Appreciate it.

Cheers.

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Most engine oils on the Australian market advertised as synthetic use severe hydroprocessed basestocks (mineral oil).
Severe hydroprocessed oils are further refined hydroprocessed oils but they still contain some undesirable impurities which cannot be completely removed.
Quoted from Mobil website.
http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/LCW/Audiences/Synthetic_V_Mineral.asp

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
I had 1000 miles on my new ride and changed to full synthetic.

VYIISSUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE
Fully Synthetic Oil

I use fully synthetic oil in my ute but i plan on keeping it forever. If your only going to sell the car in another 3 years or so, someone else is going to benifit from the money your pouring into it.

I am a big believer in synthetic oil because the componets are alot better protected and the engine will hardly wear. the other thing is, since i have been running the 10w-60 I have been getting unbelieveable fuel econemy for an 8.

All things considered, i would only recommend fully synthetic oil if your goind to keep the car forever and ever and dont want to rebuild it, or you rev the f***ing arse off it or are dragging it.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
exactly which fully synthetic oil would you guys recommend because my service is coming up soon, so i want to tell the guy which type to use...

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Mobil 1, seems like the go to me.

Cheers.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
exactly which fully synthetic oil would you guys recommend because my service is coming up soon, so i want to tell the guy which type to use...

most of them are bascially the same, to save costs you should buy the oil instead of the mechanic having to do it, ive always used Nulon Oils and havnt had any trouble

good luck mate

LGW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
Hi,
I'm still trying to work out this whole oil thing myself. :help: I think it really depends on the individauls driving needs as to which oil is best suited for you.

Here's some good reading on understanding oils a bit better. There are many good links within to some good info.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/just-commodores-polls/75801-engine-oil.html

Mobil1 and Castrol Edge Sport are good "common" fully synthetic oils which to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) are made from PAO basestocks.

As to which thickness to use is highly debateable. :boxing:
The Holden manual reccomends you use a 5w-30 oil but many people suggest a thicker oil, especially if you have had any mods done to your car. I'm still not sure which is the best.

So in the meantime I'm sitting on the fence and going to try out castrol edge sport 0w-40 on Monday in my car. My reasoning is that I want an oil that is thin enough for some protection at cold starts and slightly thicker at operating temperatures than what Holden suggests.