Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Getting my reflection in the paint back after respirating

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
Seen his thread a few months ago. Pretty darn good considering he used a roller. I don't think I'd be game but he shows it certainly can be done.
Yeah I’m going to try it see how I go

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
If you've got even base coats, and more than three decent clear coats, it'll come up ok. Just let the clear harden for a week or so, wet rub back with 2000 as everyone has said and compound polish. The rubbing with 2000 is super time consuming if you want it to look good, aim to get the clear coat flat but matte. It'll shine up fine from there, but rattle can acrylic will need regular polishing and will deteriorate over the years. Good luck.

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
Update
I’m going to start again wasn’t happy with the spray etc
So I’m looking at doing it right this time which would include
A sander or even self sand
A spray gun
Two pack paint from a auto shop to fit my colour

process
Sand back the paint and clear coat as best I can
Not sure if I have to prime the area or not
Respray from the gun
Leave it time to dry
Also does the made up paint already should come with a gloss or clear coat in the paint?
Or do I need to add the clear coat over the paint again?
This website is a great idea for someone who is new to try and fix certain areas on the car yourself by learning and getting good advice

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
If you've got even base coats, and more than three decent clear coats, it'll come up ok. Just let the clear harden for a week or so, wet rub back with 2000 as everyone has said and compound polish. The rubbing with 2000 is super time consuming if you want it to look good, aim to get the clear coat flat but matte. It'll shine up fine from there, but rattle can acrylic will need regular polishing and will deteriorate over the years. Good luck.
Thanks for that
Yeah I can see using spray just doesn’t do the job you want
If going to do it have to do it properly