Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headliner - should I bother?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yes you should bother fixing it. In NSW if you have sagging roof lining you will be defected for it, the Mrs got let off with a warning one night. So i ripped it out, used the staple gun and glued all the edges etc, been fine since, and dont just pull it off cause the foam goes EVERYWHERE including your eyes lol

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
I have not been game enough to ask a cop at a RBT to tell me if having no roof lining is illegal, they cant see it anyway.

Ive never been denied rego for it tho but have been for having other trim pannles off with the reasoning being you cant have expossed wires. Since theres a single cable going to the interia light that might apply here to, cause its so dangerous i could kill myself with the 12v of POWER!

oh and +1 on the orange foam going everywhere, if you do just want to rip it off and run cardboard take it out of the car and scrape it all off first! Or in the car if you like cleaning it.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I THink having no roof lining is illegal mischa as the cop said the roof lining is a fixture of the car and is required so he says, but i dont know where the #### some of them get these defects from, i can understand if its sagged and blocking vision but next thing you know your seat covers are to worn now have a defect lol

Matt Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG V6 1990
I replaced the lining in my VG and it looks way better now. When I brought it some dumb ass had tried to fix it with what looked like bubble gum lol. I just called my local NOLAN branch. These are the biggest upholstery suppliers in Aus and have many diffrent types and colours to choose from I kept it grey. It was pretty easy to do. One tip TAKE THE CARDBOARD OUT OF THE CAR and do it on a bench or drive way. Also use 3M glue in the can I think you can get this from Super Cheap Autos.
I dont think its illegal to drive without it in though. Hope this helps. Matt

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The 91 VN Calais is running black painted cardboard. The cloth just did not go back on very well and then just peeled off again a week later.

painted card board it is for now.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Cant believe what you got quoted here - I had an EF done for around $150 as well - in QLD it is illegal as basically you have to have whatever interior parts that was fitted originally. Wouldn't like to roll it without it though & it would be a serious problem with insurance after an accident..

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Who knows, im going to call it a black hole as to legalitys. There are road registered cars with roll cages and do you think they have roof linings?

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
in NSW it is illegal to not have it and it will get defected or fail a road worthy on as the exposed metal with sharp edges from the second skins are considered a hazard and dangerous. had a car failed on a pink slip a few years ago for those very reasons.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
The hood lining is pretty simple 2 do and should take no longer than a couple hours 2 do. longest and hardest part is pulling all ur trims off lol and not breaking them. The most simplest way but does take longer is 2 take off the front passenger door but its not needed as u can manipulate the lining board with it still on neways.

I used 2 do these as an 1st apprentice chippy and got sent next door 2 the upholster 2 fill in time. charged $150 4 the job u just gotta make sure u scrape off all the old glue and foam b4 u apply new contact glue. If the old foam is brittle get new hood lining otherwise the new glue wont last long either 4 obvious reasons. Dont bother with spray cans at all they either dont stick well or dont last a couple summers specially with the heat that it gets blasted from. we use contact adhesive day in day out so we have tried everything.

As chooky said the best stuff 2 use that easy 2 get ur hands on is the quik grip stuff from bunnnings, best used in a spray can tho so u get an even coat but not needed. make sure both sides get a coat or it wont stick very well, otherwise hunt down some proper industrial contact adheasive. A roller is good 2 get a perfect result and u dont need a couple guys 2 do it use ya head and use some props 2 keep the lining away from the head board b4 u try contacting it down, once its down theres not alot u can do 2 fix it lol.