Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headliner - should I bother?

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
i replaced my roof lining not to long ago. went to jolly rogers (dandenong,vic) and picked up an almost perfect condition one for about $40

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
in NSW it is illegal to not have it and it will get defected or fail a road worthy on as the exposed metal with sharp edges from the second skins are considered a hazard and dangerous. had a car failed on a pink slip a few years ago for those very reasons.

Well there you go, my mechanc pointed it out and said "well atleast you dont have a problem with your roof lining!" while I was getting a pink slip. But ive gone to mechanics that i dont know and they have failed me for the weirdest little things, hence why I always go to my guy.

But if I have a crash where i come in contact with my roof Ill be glad to come away from it with only a nasty scratch! :p

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
My VC has no headlining, carpets, soundproofing but does have door trims. Painted floors and painted underside of the roof as GM only undercoat the inside of the roof. You must have door trims to prevent injury from the openings inside the door, the trims can be made from virtually any material. My car was certified by an engineer for several mods and no comment was passed regarding no interior trim and it passed roadworthy. Also there is no rear seat, mountings or seatbelts and registration now states 2 seats. So you don't need to run full interior trim.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Just fix the thing urself its easy peasy get the lining from spotlight

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
My VC has no headlining, carpets, soundproofing but does have door trims. Painted floors and painted underside of the roof as GM only undercoat the inside of the roof. You must have door trims to prevent injury from the openings inside the door, the trims can be made from virtually any material. My car was certified by an engineer for several mods and no comment was passed regarding no interior trim and it passed roadworthy. Also there is no rear seat, mountings or seatbelts and registration now states 2 seats. So you don't need to run full interior trim.

See this is what I assumed was correct all along. I know door trims are a must, but carpet, roof lining, etc all can go. Do you still have a complete dash and center console?

I had my aircon vent off on the drivers side and a place didnt want to give me rego, go figure.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
See this is what I assumed was correct all along. I know door trims are a must, but carpet, roof lining, etc all can go. Do you still have a complete dash and center console?

I had my aircon vent off on the drivers side and a place didnt want to give me rego, go figure.

I have the top half of the dash only and no heater core, for a demister I use a 12V hair dryer. I have no centre console but I do have a rubber boot around the gear lever and all the factory holes in the floor are plugged. Rear windows are fixed and winder mechanisms removed. Only 50% of windows need be operative.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Third that . spot on

NV-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Xe
i did my roof lining came our supurb!!!!!!! i took out my roof lining completely, you have to clean the old orange sponge with a firm brush. then buy new fabric from lincraft. and selleys extra strong glue paste and a can of glue.
apply the paste to the roof lining and spray the fabric as you apply it on. looks better than brand new

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
I have the top half of the dash only and no heater core, for a demister I use a 12V hair dryer. I have no centre console but I do have a rubber boot around the gear lever and all the factory holes in the floor are plugged. Rear windows are fixed and winder mechanisms removed. Only 50% of windows need be operative.

Awsome, I love getting rid of weight! Did this have to get enginered before it became legal? Ive always thought that you only need the top half of the dash as its padded. I love the 12V hair dryer idea aswell thats brilliant!