Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater core on VS

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
You have to be careful that you don't overtighten them. Tight enough means they will not leak and too tight means that they will cut into and damage the hose. I personally would use no sealant as I figure it may assist in allowing the hose to slip off the pipe when under pressure. I'd also wire the heads on the 2 clamps together so they cannot separate.

I actually thought I may start crushing the pipe too. I think my hose and clamp may be to close to the bend of the pipe, maybe why its leaking. Didn't think of that with the sealant.

Mrmotox023

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy s pack & vl
Skeg1967 thanks for the pics and info that's going 2 save me some coin and looks a lot easyer 2 do than I thought :)

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
Thanks for the how to Skeg1967, worked a treat for me. Will add one thing i found useful getting the rubber pipe to slide easily down the brass tube. First I tried soapy water which I thought made it harder to move. Thought about it a bit and went looking for some talcum powder, didn't have any, but did have flour. Dried everything and just used my little finger to wipe it into each end of the rubber sleeve and then slid them on. Made the rubber sleeve much easier to slide down the brass tubes. Possibly talcum would be even better to use.

Raven blue

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 1997 series 1, the first one produced
Hey Boys, this short cut method - if you look at general automotive connections - you see a rib at the end of the pipe - the rib acts as a double protection against sliding off/ leakages .

This method above results in two pipes that are straight edged without the ribbed end - Has anyone tried this with success or does it end up leaking under pressure ?

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I just did mine a week ago and i thought about the same thing...

It hasnt leaked and when you think about it the rib isnt required since if you cut it correctly the copper pipe is practically almost joined except for a tiny gap where the cut is which is sealed by the hose.
So measure twice cut once and shell be sweet, beats ripping out your whole dash :beer chug:

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
Im gonna do mine in my vp soon. But I got a 5/8 copper pipe joiner and am gonna do a practice run on an old core and if it works well im going to join the pipes that way. Looks like there is enough room to use a solder torch near the core ill just. Use some thick steel and wet rags to protect everything.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Im gonna do mine in my vp soon. But I got a 5/8 copper pipe joiner and am gonna do a practice run on an old core and if it works well im going to join the pipes that way. Looks like there is enough room to use a solder torch near the core ill just. Use some thick steel and wet rags to protect everything.

Let us know how this works out

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
Worked perfectly on the old practice core I had. Tested it with mains pressure and with air pressure and detergent on the joins and no leaks what so ever. Mains water and compressed air is probably 4 times more than a car cooling system

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Any chance of a video when you are doing this in the car ?