Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Security Cameras

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
What's everyone doing to protect the electricity source to their security systems?

I have a 3kVA (2700w) APC rackmount UPS that powers everything I have computer-wise, including the NAS, the router/WiFi AP, and the PoE switch (which in turn powers the cameras), as well as my 3D printers (blackouts really suck when you're almost at the end of a print).

With everything running that's good for about ten minutes, which is just about enough time to shutdown/turn off/pause everything that can be, but at night when it's only powering the surveillance system, it's good for an hour or so.

It also alerts me on its smartphone app if there's an outage, and allows me to monitor supply voltage, load, etc. remotely and in real time.

I've also got a 10kVA generator that I plug into the house, but I'm looking at solar "battery wall" options now as well (Feed In Tariffs are **** when you're only generating during the daylight and drawing back from the grid at night).

Even without solar panels, there's some "battery wall" systems now that charge off the grid at night (at off-peak rates) and protect your entire house from power cuts, but that's an expensive option. The generator is a bit of a PITA (because I need to be home at the time) but a lot cheaper.

No doubt there is some kind of auto-start system I could add to it but then I'd need to build some kind of enclosure and leave it outside, and it only gets used once a year or so (touch wood) so not so difficult to drag out of the shed and kick in the guts when needed.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I have a 3kVA (2700w) APC rackmount UPS that powers everything I have computer-wise, including the NAS, the router/WiFi AP, and the PoE switch (which in turn powers the cameras), as well as my 3D printers (blackouts really suck when you're almost at the end of a print).

With everything running that's good for about ten minutes, which is just about enough time to shutdown/turn off/pause everything that can be, but at night when it's only powering the surveillance system, it's good for an hour or so.

It also alerts me on its smartphone app if there's an outage, and allows me to monitor supply voltage, load, etc. remotely and in real time.

I've also got a 10kVA generator that I plug into the house, but I'm looking at solar "battery wall" options now as well (Feed In Tariffs are **** when you're only generating during the daylight and drawing back from the grid at night).

Even without solar panels, there's some "battery wall" systems now that charge off the grid at night (at off-peak rates) and protect your entire house from power cuts, but that's an expensive option. The generator is a bit of a PITA (because I need to be home at the time) but a lot cheaper.

No doubt there is some kind of auto-start system I could add to it but then I'd need to build some kind of enclosure and leave it outside, and it only gets used once a year or so (touch wood) so not so difficult to drag out of the shed and kick in the guts when needed.
yeah once phone went to nbn then security didnt have any phone, or ethernet with new alarms after a blackout. backup on that is important I think.
I learnt that a UPS on expensive devices like big tv etc is good insurance against power spikes too. The boards dont help as much as a ups.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We have a small UPS, big enough to keep all the IT gear up for just over an hour. The plan is to double that in the future. Solar is on the wish list with a proper battery backup.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
We used to cement pieces of broken glass onto the top of our backyard walls.

Not only would that get your ass sued, and you renounced by your insurance company, but it will also get you ten years behind bars!

Under the CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 26:

Setting traps etc. to cause serious injury
A person who sets a trap or device with the intention of causing, or being reckless as to whether or not there is caused, serious injury to another person (whether a trespasser or not) is guilty of an indictable offence.

Penalty: Level 5 imprisonment (10 years maximum).
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s26.html

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Cement complete bottles upright along the wall-top there first, and photograph them. Not your fault if local vandals came and broke the "art installation" you created soon after, is it?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had an issue at a tyre shop I worked at, where little shites would climb under a fence in a particular spot, to grab scrap tyres.

Some timber with nails in it happened to fall into the hole they dug, when the hole got filled in...

First job every morning was check for blood around the fence line.....

Found some one morning, so the timber disappeared...

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you did that around here, you'd rock up for work the next morning to find that your business is now a smoldering pile of rubble!