Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Security Cameras

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
what is the footage like at night?
It's pretty good, my night IR lens is a bit filthy from spiderwebs and the dirty rain we've had lately so I need to give it a clean, when I do I'll send you a screenshot of what it looks like.

It's clear enough you can definately identify someone who walks down the drive.

Happy to give you some advice if you wanna go down that route :)

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
It's pretty good, my night IR lens is a bit filthy from spiderwebs and the dirty rain we've had lately so I need to give it a clean, when I do I'll send you a screenshot of what it looks like.

It's clear enough you can definately identify someone who walks down the drive.

Happy to give you some advice if you wanna go down that route :)
I hate spider webs :mad:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Me too, they really screw with the IR light :(

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Honestly security camera research is so vast, no wonder I haven't looked at anything new in a while.

Saw a work offer for Eufy 2K wireless kit & thought I would have a look around. Seems a staple at Bunnings, SCA, Officeworks, TGG, JBs etc.

4pk 2K pro camera kits with homebase 2 (I know 3 is out) for $1,066 delivered via work deal.
Bunnings has them for $1,100 and everywhere else is $1,499, SCA says they will price match and have sent me a voucher for the difference that + trade pricing makes it more attractive to get it from SCA at $872

4 x 2K wireless cameras, 16GB local storage & expandable to 16 cameras, option for adding solar panels for charging and it seems a possible solution as running cables over large property to sheds etc is going to end up costly once licenced trades involved. Can also grab a new doorbell camera that's compatible.

Setting up a mesh net for wifi and then running cameras off that seems an easier, and more cost effective option.

Any thoughts or feedback on Eufy - okay for the money? or should I try a different path?

*EDITED - For corrections, the Homebase version numbers I used were wrong.*

I've been using a eufyCam system for a few years now and definitely recommend them. Do your homework to decide precisely what you want, where. I've 5 cameras and a homebase covering the house & garage. So happy with it I'm putting one more camera in and two LED floodlight cameras around the shed (when the weather lets us run the cable from the house to finish the wiring). I also have a spare backup Homebase.

Homebases
I have the older series Homebase 1 [eufy T8001] (NOT Homebase 2 [eufy T8010]). The Homebase 1 has a built-in battery backup that can keep it running for up to 48 hours in event of a power cut and stores videos on a 16GB micro SD card. The Homebase 2 has 16GB internal storage and can be expand by up to a further 16TB with an HD or SSD. But it has no backup battery and therefore requires constant mains power at all times. That was the game-changer for me and is why I chose the Homebase 1 - it and the cameras keep working, recording and storing during power cuts. I just don't get alerts during that time while my interent connection is down.

Cameras
The eufyCam 2 cameras are 1K, 1080p (not the greatest resolution at night or for number plates at distance), eufyCam 2 Pro & 2C Pro are 2K, 1440p. The eufyCam 3 cameras claim to be 4K, but they are not really, they're UHDTV1 or 2160p. They will still be better resolution than previous models and should require less frequent charging due to having built-in solar charging. I would stay away from the euyfCam 2C and 2C Pros personally, they were fugly inbetweeners in my books.

"AI"
The AI detection algorythm was on-chip within the camera in the early model eufyCam2/Homebase 1 systems and then supposedly moved to the Homebase processing in the Homebase 2 & 3 system. Confuse yourself with decisions about whether you want to distinguish between whether it's your neighbour's kids or their dog shitting on your lawn.

The app
is good, easy to set up shedules, geofencing, etc. and disable completely when in the yard. Gives consistent alerts dependent on your cellphone provider and ISP network traffic. There is always some delay if you arent at home (the eufy wifi data transfer between cameras and homebase itself is a very low and slow profile system, so the courier with a parcel at your door will be gone before you try to talk to him through your camera via your cellphone from your workplace). I have found no need for a subscription, to servers in Hong Kong. The cameras at the back of the house get charged around 10 months, the front around 6 months. The only issue I have is that the detection range of the eufyCam 2s can be a bit short if you want to cover a long drive or large back yard.

Support: Differences Between All eufyCams

Support: Compatibility Between eufySecurity Devices

Support: Current & Pendinding Device Compatibility with Homebase 3
(which requires mains power at all times)

eufyCams.jpg

Last edited:

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I've been using a eufyCam system for a few years now and definitely recommend them. Do your homework to decide precisely what you want, where. I've 5 cameras and a homebase covering the house & garage. So happy with it I'm putting one more camera in and two LED floodlight cameras around the shed (when the weather lets us run the cable from the house to finish the wiring). I also have a spare backup Homebase.

Homebases
I have the older series Homebase 2 (NOT Homebse 3). The Homebase 2 has a built-in battery backup that can keep it running for up to 48 hours in event of a power cut and stores videos on a micro SD card. The Homebase 3 has 16GB local storage and can be expand by up to a further 16TB with an HD or SSD. It also has no backup battery and therfore requires constant mains power at all times. That was the game-changer for me and is why I chose the Homebase 2 - it and the cameras keep working, recording and storing during power cuts. I just don't get alerts during that time while my interent connection is down.

Cameras
The eufyCam 2 cameras are 1K, 1080p (not the greatest resolution at night or for number plates at distance), eufyCam 2 Pro & 2C Pro are 2K, 1440p. The eufyCam 3 cameras claim to be 4K, but they are not really, they're UHDTV1 or 2160p. They will still be better resolution than previous models and should require less frequent charging due to having built-in solar charging. I would stay away from the euyfCam 2C and Pros personally, they were fugly inbetweeners in my books.

"AI"
The AI detection algorythm was on-chip within the camera in the early model eufyCam2/Homebase 2 systems and then supposedly moved to the Homebase processing in the Homebase 3 system. Confuse yourself with decisions about whether you want to distinguish between whether it's your neighbour's kids or their dog shitting on your lawn.

The app
is good, easy to set up shedules, geofencing, etc. and disable completely when in the yard. Gives consistent alerts dependent on your cellphone provider and ISP network traffic. There is always some delay if you arent at home (the eufy wifi data transfer between cameras and homebase itself is a very low and slow profile system, so the courier with a parcel at your door will be gone before you try to talk to him through your camera via your cellphone from your workplace). I have found no need for a subscription, to servers in Hong Kong. The cameras at the back of the house get charged around 10 months, the front around 6 months. The only issue I have is that the detection range of the eufyCam 2s can be a bit short if you want to cover a long drive or large back yard.

Support: Differences Between All eufyCams

View attachment 251604

neighbour's kids or their dog :oops:

try a little UPS from officeworks and set it up for your nbn box and router. This can give you an hr or 2 of runtime so security systems and cameras can still get access and notify.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/search?q=ups&view=grid&page=1&sortBy=bestmatch

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
What's everyone doing to protect the electricity source to their security systems? Have seen battery back up for the more old fashioned screamer systems. What protection do you have with these modern internet systems if you lose power or thieves cut the power?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
What's everyone doing to protect the electricity source to their security systems? Have seen battery back up for the more old fashioned screamer systems. What protection do you have with these modern internet systems if you lose power or thieves cut the power?
That was the game-changer for me and is why I chose the Homebase 2 - it and the cameras keep working, recording and storing during power cuts.

View attachment 251604

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
My alarm has battery backup. NBN box and router needs battery UPS also.
My gates and roller door also have battery backup option.
When it goes down I then have a 7kva geni I plug into the house and had the sparky wire up an input to house.

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Should have read your post better. Definitely worries me to have a system that doesn't have some form of battery back up.