Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Change the Oil in a VT/VX

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
You'd only need a jack if a; You are a very large person or b; There is a body kit on it.

aries_adel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redhot VX S
I changed the oil and oil filter for my car today, using Penrite H10 and a Ryco filter. However, when I used excess power when tightening the oil filter and make the filter deformed. Do I have to replace it or is it ok to leave there? Cheers.

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
I usually leave the VT on the greound, drop the plug out & drain it. Pour 300ml of oil in the top & it flushes all the cr*p out of the bottom of the sump (if there is any in there) plus some additional waste oil. The last bit that runs out is usually pretty clean.

Since I'm only using Magnatec, it's not a dear thing to do. I dont think I'd be doing it with Mobil 1 or anything tho lol

Aries_adel, I'd be a little worried about the filter as you may have damaged it internally, or even worse, you may have increased the chance of it developing a leak, so I'd personally replace it

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
I changed the oil and oil filter for my car today, using Penrite H10 and a Ryco filter. However, when I used excess power when tightening the oil filter and make the filter deformed. Do I have to replace it or is it ok to leave there? Cheers.

I'd change it for sure. It is a heap cheaper than a rebuild if it drops its oil!!

Also I've made some 'oil change' ramps. A couple of bits of timber around 250mm wide x 75mm high x 500mm-600mm long. Cut the timber on a shallow angle at one end and attached some rubber to the bottom so they don't slip. They are nice and easy to drive up onto, just have to make sure you don't go too far off the other end, which basically as soon as the car is up you stop, so not too hard to prevent.
Gives me enough clearance to change the oil and do minor thing. They are also handy to get a lowered car onto a trolley jack if the jack won't slide under when the car is on the ground. They are a really handy thing to have.

totality

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina wagon 5.0 litre
hey guys
what oil brand do you recomend for a VT 5 litre?
and how much oil does it take?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Also I've made some 'oil change' ramps. A couple of bits of timber around 250mm wide x 75mm high x 500mm-600mm long. Cut the timber on a shallow angle at one end and attached some rubber to the bottom so they don't slip. They are nice and easy to drive up onto, just have to make sure you don't go too far off the other end, which basically as soon as the car is up you stop, so not too hard to prevent.
Gives me enough clearance to change the oil and do minor thing. They are also handy to get a lowered car onto a trolley jack if the jack won't slide under when the car is on the ground. They are a really handy thing to have.

haha, I have to do the same thing myself. I can't ever fit my oil drain pan underneath the sump, so I roll the car onto a couple of small wooden blocks. Gives me -just- enough clearance to get the pan under there :)

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Why 8 thousand instead of 10 thousand?
Whats your reasoning there?
Just for trivial purposes, 99% of the time, the oil doesnt 'wear out', it simply gets dirty....if the filtration was better, you could run the same oil ten times over.

Oil does wear out. Most common supermarket oils wear out anywhere between 3000k's and 6000k's as a general rule. Some will last 10 000 and beyond but these are few

J

jayderichards

l apologise to reopen this thread.

I have a VU S Pack ute and l couldn't find the sump plug first off until l saw that the VU has a sump breast plate to protect it's vital organs. I'm still trying to get the damn plug off but thought l'd give a heads up to any noobs who have encountered the issue.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Oil does wear out. Most common supermarket oils wear out anywhere between 3000k's and 6000k's as a general rule. Some will last 10 000 and beyond but these are few

You buy your oil at a supermarket?
Can you tell me what wears out in the oil?
I know that different blend oils can handle various heat cycles, but as I said, most of the time, the oil is dirty, hence the reason it is black, this is mostly carbon deposits from the combustion process. If this can be cleaned more thoroughly than your 'supermarket brand' oil filter is capable of, you could go further between changes.
So, I never said oil does not wear out at all, please read my posts properly before commenting. :thumbsup: