Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to spot pursuit rims - does anyone know?

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
even us guys at holden refer to them as interceptor rims, standard steel rims back in the day were black and in either 14 or 15 inch, interceptors are factory silver thats pretty much the difference, and although pretty much the same untilll the 7" steel wheels were released they used different option and production codes, therefor separating them into stockies and 'ceptors..

schteven

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
there is a 'police pack' that is available for government bodies etc my car has the pack, wider wheels fe2 suspension sump guard black out switch for interior lights etc and was used as fire brigade car

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Benboy speaks the truth, Even the black 15 inch wheels were called interceptors as were the later silver re-enforced ones, if it had holes is was an interceptor rim. I was there back in the day, I know these things :). Most Commodores ran 14 inch solid looking rims during this time and 15 inch's with holes were a very rare and wonderful item. I have a few sets of mags but VY Ute style ceptors are the best wheel for me, lighter stronger better

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Greenfoam

How far back are you going? Base Commodores have been fitted with 15 inch rims since the VP. In NSW, Police pursuit commodores optioned Execs with the Police Pack, as an economy measure. Even Holden was not happy building the NSW cars as the V8 Exec was only optioned with the basic 15 inch steel rims and a slightly better quality, 215/60 tyre as against the standard 205/60's. The cops were'nt too happy driving them at speed during pursuits because they were seriously under-tyred for the performance and it wasn't until either late VX or VY that they finally started ordering the SS for HWP work.

The perforated steel rim dates from the early Commodore days, when they were fitted to models without wheel covers. The VB and VC had a styled steel rim, so I think it was the VK when the perforated rims were introduced in a 15 inch size. That's way back and I can't be sure of my facts there, but in those days, base Commies only ran 14's and the SLE/Calais ran 15's exclusively.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm talking early Commdore's, Yellow Victorian highway patrol cars from the mid 80s :) (just after they took over the job from the Yellow 351 Falcons) Around the VK/VL days. Since the early days all the big gun cop cars were yellow V8's (mostly manuals) Then they went to the VL turbo (both in white and yellow), except South Australia stayed with the V8's in their outstandingly beasty VL candy cars (light police blue with red stripes)