Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to spot pursuit rims - does anyone know?

kymbo28

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S Pack
AirStrike said:
Its stamped on the rim edge. Will have 15x7J from memory.
AirStrike :air:
yea its 7.00J x 15 just realised i had persuits

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
the vast majority of people who have vy/vz executives dont change their rims.

standard is BLACK rims with bridgestone RE92s 205/65/R15

cops have SILVER rims bridgestone turanzas 225/60/R15 96V (so yes they are 2cm wider)

so if you see a vz exec with silver rims under the hub caps chances are its an unmarked police car, or an ex-cop car. aerials mounted on the back window, the boot, or the bonnet are good indicators. oh and little red and blue lights on the parcel shelf (see third pic). here is SA a lot of them now have louves too which makes them stick out. and if you live in victoria all police cars have rear parking sensors which are not standard on the execs they drive (pics 1 & 2).

Attachments

• 604RH146.jpg
    604RH146.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2,235
  • 604BC002.jpg
    604BC002.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 864
  • 0511-as2_vzexec_05.jpg
    0511-as2_vzexec_05.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,054

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
LOL at the Victorian police needing reversing sensors!

The lights on unmarked cop cars in Victoria are little rectangular units (with a lens about the size of a single DIN head unit), both are mounted together on the drivers side on the parcel shelf. The ones in the front are about the same size and sit in a little flat box in the middle of the dash (or some are mounted at the top of the windscreen where an e-tag would normally go).

Often they run window tinting to make it quite hard to see, some even have those dodgy sun shade things on the rear window with the lights behind them, making it almost impossible to see the lights.

The only real way to be sure it is or isn't an unmarked cop car is to go past it doing about 130kph, if you get booked then yeah...it's cops. LOL. :eek: :cops: :supersad:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
There a Purple BA (XR8 I think),it has a Winnie the Pooh rear sunshade. I saw it with a VL pulled over outside Waverley Gardens and saw it at a Booze bus in Wheelers Hill..

Sneaky lil buggers..

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
mouce said:
LOL at the Victorian police needing reversing sensors!

they need it - have a read of thishttp://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19440111%255E661,00.html

here is some of it:

VICTORIAN police wrote off 21 cars and incurred a $1.7 million damage bill in a spate of on-the-job accidents in a year.

Almost a third of the fleet of about 2200 cars was involved in accidents.

And 95 speeding tickets were issued to police in the same period.

The total cost to Victoria Police for the crashes is expected to be $1 million once money is recovered from third parties involved in the accidents, police estimate.

Taxpayers will pay another $387,000 to third parties as a result of crashes involving police vehicles.

Victoria Police declined to release statistics on how many unmarked cars it had in its fleet, saying the figure needed to remain a secret.

"As an effective tool, the use of unmarked vehicles is intrinsically reliant upon secrecy," FoI officer Superintendent Lisa McMeeken said.

i want to know how much they pay for an exec/ss considering how many they buy.

Attachments

• prang 7.jpg
    prang 7.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,793
  • 605SJ001.jpg
    605SJ001.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,762
  • 03-vzss-crash.jpg
    03-vzss-crash.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 2,451

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
Check out the rims there...those don't look like 'ceptors to me. I hate seeing cars end up like that, such nice cars...such a waste.

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
they keep alloys on the models that come with them - ss, sv6 and acclaims - which makes them harder to pick.

police will always have crashes because of how many officers there are and and how much they drive. they gotta do their work and i dont think you could say any of those officers wanted to be in those crashes

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I heard that Police VY ss's get the 17" version of the alloys, not the 18", to save on tyres??

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
That photo is GOLD. Imagine being asked to help guide a police car. Funny stuff.