Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] HSV XU6 P-Plate legal again in Vic..... Kinda

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
I know this might be old news but my seaching didnt bring anything up about it in the forum. P-Platers in Vic might be able to drive XU6's again legally.

I was just searhing the vicroads webite and saw that now turbo and supercharged engines less than 100KWs per tonne are legal and between 100 and 125KWs per tonne are legal if you apply for an exemption. Looking at the pdf it seems exemptions are given on the basis of if they like you or not as the criteria is vague. Must be 4 doors. Must be family not performance orinentated.
As we know the XU6 fits in the category where it must get an exemption. but whether one is given or not is the tricky part. The site does list the XR6 Turbo Manual and the WRX Manual as "examples considered to NOT meet the criteria". So it makes you think how a XU6 Auto would go.

Here is the site and the PDF file is where the quote is from.

Lower perfomance turbo or supercharged vehicles : VicRoads

I would love to get an XU6 but i think I would want the exemption before I bought the car.

has anybody heard of this or got the exemption?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Hmmm....I suppose L67's are a bit too powerful then aren't they? I.e. a VS one, since they are lighter than VT on.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
. Must be 4 doors. Must be family not performance orinentated.
As we know the XU6 fits in the category where it must get an exemption. but whether one is given or not is the tricky part. The site does list the XR6 Turbo Manual and the WRX Manual as "examples considered to NOT meet the criteria". So it makes you think how a XU6 Auto would go.

no dice i think, they make the criteria vague so they have more discretion i think.

plus, i dont think you can say that a hsv (even if its an auto) isnt performance orentated.

brodiewilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Ute, V6, Manual
yeah after reading it i also think that an xu6 would be banned but you may be able to get a supercharged calais or statesman

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i still think you'll be pushing it a bit uphill, if i was a cop (im not) i would probably say sell it and get a naturally aspirated one.

fast p plate legal cars are out there, but aren't commodores.

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
i know its a bit iffy. But I would hope they would allow it. Plus i think it is different from the XR6 turbo as that is top of the range but the XU6 is entry level HSV.

Old Mate. While it isnt up to the cops its upto vic roads I agree with what you say.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
your saying the car you want is 'entry level HSV'. meaning it is an entry level 'Sports Vehicle'. lol i think you'd have more chance having a higher end 'standard' commodore than saying to the police 'But it's only entry level of the high performance vehicle range' LOL

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
might just be easier to buy a VT or VX S or Berlina and making it a replica XU6 minus the supercharger. just would end up alot pricier. I love the hsv interiors.

especially the VX/VT clubby seats.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
yes you can have a l67 on your p's, my mate has the exemption on a charged vx s-pac......not sure how the HSV would go tho being the performance model. He drew a lot of attention to himself at first and the cops definantly arnt his best mates and dont rate him driving it but vic roads says you go so the cops can get .....

call up vic roads and enquire, i thought about this a while ago but ive spend too much money on my car already :(