Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] HSV XU6 P-Plate legal again in Vic..... Kinda

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
VX21 its good to hear that vic roads will approve a VX S S/C. As for cop problems did the cops already have problems with your mate or was it because of the S/C?

I will call or email vic roads today and post my results.

I just know I need to get rid of my VS I dont want to invest in modding it (interior and sound system, nothing engine wise) while i know i want to get rid of it soon.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
yer i wish i could get a S/C now but i think ill just wait till im off my p's and get something better again haha...but thats what your p's are about would be sick to have one!

well they didnt rate his hooning, stockies with no tread and 80mm off the ground.....his fixed it all up and drives half decent now so i guess they wouldnt care, he just carries the exemption cirt. around with him in his car incase some cop wants to be a tightass.

yer sounds good mate, look forward to hearing back

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
I just called Vicroads about this. If you would like a straight answer on the issue I would advise that you dont contact Vicroads as you will certainly not get one.

The answer I was given is that so long as your car is under 100KW per tonne your fine. If your car is between 100 and 125KW you need the exemption and your car must be a non-sports/ family car with sports car defined as 2 doors and/ or 2 seats 2 seats (sorry ute drivers). I think she was just reading the website.

I asked if i could get help with a particular model or even hypothetically a particular model. She refused to answer so as not to open herself up to legal issues. I then mentioned that while the XR6 Turbo fulfills the requirements that the form explicitly excludes it. She said she could not confirm and was unable to help apart from tell me the official guidelines as stated on the website as she does not process the exemptions. I asked to talk to those people and was told they do not take phone calls.

After all this I was given the advice of before I buy the car I should send in the form as a test to relate to the model of car (ie give the model not any rego/ dont make associate the form to any specific car) and if they say that that car will get an exemption then lodge the form again to get the proper exemption for the car you buy.

sorry for the rather useless post but my info was from a govt dept. usable infomation wasnt excactly readily available.

seeing I wont be ready to get a new car for around 6 months Im going to wait till then to lodge a test form and do more research.

VX21 - I think the boys in blue should leave me alone as im quite a conservative driver and dont hoon. anyway I wont get a S/C till I know i can legally drive it. just makes life easier.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
gotta hate vicroads, sif they dont take phone calls thats bull if you ask me but the test form sounds like a very good idea....maybe also if you say it was your dads car .......and he is giving it to you sorta thing play a bit innocent and cant afford your own car they may be a little more lenient. because i know they can make exeptions for people who have no noice but to drive these types of cars, who cant afford one etc.

good luck with it all mate will have to let me know what happens and especially when you get it!!!!

ciddyau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
My mate just bought 1 and he is on his Ps

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
did your mate get a S/C commie or a XU6?

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
s/c spac commy....would like your chances on a xu6....save your money and get the s/c and then get something better with the diff when your off your p's or do up the s/c

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
haha I would buy a VT Clubsport if I was allowed. I wish vic would bring in the ACT system of being able to do a driving course and then have no restrictions.

Surely educating and teaching P Platers to drive high powered cars is better than not teaching then waiting till they are off their P's to crash their high performance car.

then again I wonder if a interview system with the cops would work where ########s get ristrictions and others dont.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
haha yer but they all pot heads up there and dont know what there doing lol...

thats a good idea, but there will be some politician out there who thinks he is the f***ng king and doesnt want it to happen....theres always a guy like that.

yer an education program/course over a few days as well as a special license perhaps, there are infinant options they could pursue but they just dont rate p platers

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
after reviewing the form I decided to see what power to weight ratio was for the BA XR6 Turbo that was mentioned. It would seem it doesnt meet the criteria because has over 125KW per Tonne. So mentioning it on the form seems really stupid as the person applying should already know it exceeds. now the only bit that worries me is the "or the sports orientated varient of a specific range". That and the exemption must be granted before the purchase of the car. tough luck if you find a bargin online or at the yards and you have to wait a week or more for the exemption to be allowed.

That said you could hardly call a XU6 the sports varient of the VX/VT HSV range its the baby. and isnt HSV technically a different company to Holden? food for thought or a smart arse statement that will get the application rejected.