Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

idiots on freeways

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I personally have never encountered any of those and I drive in all lanes, middle left or right. This keep left unless overtaking "rule" is no law, just some rule to make the freeways seem like they run better. The Autobahn has that rule, since they drive upwards of 180, but on a normal freeway, the only way I'll move is if I want to overtake someone or I see flashing lights behind me.

It is law in NSW now,

Not drive on far left side of road = $206 and 2 demerit points.
Drive in right lane on road with speed-limit over 80 km/h = $265 fine and 2 demerit points

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/0711_demerits_general.pdf

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Wow, I can't believe they actually made it into a law. So what happens if someone in front of you is going 70 in an 80 Zone, and you decide to overtake them in the right lane, and a cop sees you? You're in the right lane, but under the speed limit (Given you don't exceed 80) so they'll bust you for "Not driving on far left side of road = $206 and 2 demerit points." or could you just say "Nah dude I was overtaking".

When they make general "rules" the law, that's when **** gets confusing.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I personally have never encountered any of those and I drive in all lanes, middle left or right. This keep left unless overtaking "rule" is no law, just some rule to make the freeways seem like they run better. The Autobahn has that rule, since they drive upwards of 180, but on a normal freeway, the only way I'll move is if I want to overtake someone or I see flashing lights behind me.

It is actually a fine-able offence as far as I know. Never heard of anyone getting done for it though. I think, but don't know for sure, that under-taking, ie: overtaking in the left lane, is an offence as well.

Don't agree with your attitude towards it though, you don't need to be in the right hand lane if the left one is empty. That's just trying to piss people off.

EDIT: Dammit, beaten to the post haha

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Wow, I can't believe they actually made it into a law. So what happens if someone in front of you is going 70 in an 80 Zone, and you decide to overtake them in the right lane, and a cop sees you? You're in the right lane, but under the speed limit (Given you don't exceed 80) so they'll bust you for "Not driving on far left side of road = $206 and 2 demerit points." or could you just say "Nah dude I was overtaking".

When they make general "rules" the law, that's when **** gets confusing.

Well yeah, all you can say is "I was overtaking that Datsun Sunny (or whatever)."

Generally it's only Highway that'll ping you for it, and you'd have to be doing about 65 in the right lane on the M4/M2/M5 or something. Even on those Police RBT/Highway Patrol shows the guy pulled a women over for doing that and just gave her a warning, given her decent driving record.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
They need spike strips that will teach them..

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I just don't get how people are so worked up about it. I was in the pool when I was young, about 10 or something, and I smacked my head on the sideo f the pool and needed stitches, so while dad was taking me to the hospital he was overtaking every which way, so if someone is in that much of a hurry where they need to get around you, unless of course for some reason there's 3 or 4 cars in a line blocking the whole freeway, they will just go around you.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Left; entering and exiting traffic, middle; cruising lane, right; overtaking lane.

But yeah you wouldn't be happy unless they did exactly as you do i'm guessing.

na its not always true.
if someone is not directly effecting me i cannot give a rats.
and whenever possible i try to make it so i do not effect anyone else. quite simple really (so overtake then when safe move back over for example)
once people cause me issues thats when it annoys me, but i go meh and move on. no point crying over spilt milk.
but when its constant it bugs me. as im sure it would many people.

i do agree that left is normally for entering/exiting but when there is no entry/exit on the road where is the line drawn =P
but imagine if what you just said was the idea on the autobahns in Germany, would be absolute mayhem (and why it will never happen here) =P

not once did i say im bothered by it. and tbh i love the left lane.
reason being no mongrel travels in it ever = i can quite happily do the limit without a worry in the world =P
where as every other lane is congested thanks to people who should be in the left and are doing under the limit (which is legal anyway, but not in the right)

oh and for some info on keeping left rule in Vic before arguements are made
i would also say right lane is anything right of the left most lane.
i also believe it is illegal to undertake. so your stuck in a catch 22 situation. now if only more people would get fined for sitting in the right lane for no purpose... =P

Rule 130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:
(a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour, or
(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.

(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane unless:
(a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal, or
(b) the driver is overtaking, or
(c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left, or
(d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159, or
(e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction, or
(f) the traffic in each other lane is congested, or
(g) the traffic in every lane is congested, or
(h) the right lane is a special purpose lane in which the driver, under another provision of these Rules, is permitted to drive, or
(i) there are only 2 marked lanes and the left lane is a slow vehicle turn out lane.

Last edited:

somerandom

Reaction score
my pet hate is the absolute abomination in the gene pool the amount of people that sit in the right land making me UNDERTAKE Them, now don't get me wrong, I'm not a do gooder, but its an inconvenience to me to undertake them(they're breaking the law just as much as I am when I undertake them)

All my fines are speeding(15 over, 15 over, and 30 over)
i've been to court for careless driving 5 years ago, and kept my license
ive never lost my license

i've done my own person defensive driving course throughout the years, and my record of zero accidents proves that I am more than fit for a speedster :D - umad brahs?
if police can do 25kph over the limit on a silver license, than so can I

edit: it appears i got fired up, on a calmer note, i drive the same everyday, so i must be doing something right... getting in the drivers seat and turning the key :D

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I only have 1 point on my license, so if i'm in the right lane going 100, which is the limit on the freeway that I go to work on, and you're up my arse telling me to get in the other lane, I'll glady give you the finger because I'm not going to change lanes, or speed faster than the limit, just because some douche doesn't want to overtake on the left.

If I'm behind someone on the freeway & they're going 80 in the left, middle, or right lane, I don't shake my head and laugh or tell them to move, I just drive around them and forget about them as they become a speck in my rear window regardless of which lane I have to overtake them on. Who really gives a **** what lane you're in, as long as you're going 100, which is the limit, who cares?

/end rant

Err... two issues there.

1. Sitting in the right lane unless overtaking is illegal.
2. Undertaking is technically illegal also.

Therefore, in the situation you posted, you were completely in the wrong.

It's people like you who are the reason speed limit system will never be as good as say in Germany where they have unlimited roads.

:rofl: Oh dear, someone needs to freshen up on their knowledge of road rules. It's actually $45 and two points in QLD champ. ;)

You might find this link useful:
http://hereforlife.qld.gov.au/Campaigns-Road-rules/Keeping-left

Nope, I can assure you that Autobarns do not have a "Keep left unless overtaking" rule. They do however have a "Keep right unless overtaking" rule.

The road system there is awesome, because people simply follow rules. They follow rules, so they get to go faster. Here most people struggle with the basics, so we are forced to do 100 on roads that could easily allow faster speeds.

/Rant

Last edited:

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
i've done my own person defensive driving course throughout the years, and my record of zero accidents proves that I am more than fit for a speedster :D - umad brahs?
if police can do 25kph over the limit on a silver license, than so can I

Well yes, as we know, random people with careless driving convictions are equal in driving skill to trained police officers.