Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a Stereo into a VN - VS

HARDS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
hey found this post very usefull but the head unit I have at the moment doesnt have enough room behind it to plug in RCA cables, anyone know a solution?

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
hey found this post very usefull but the head unit I have at the moment doesnt have enough room behind it to plug in RCA cables, anyone know a solution?

I had this same problem when my sub amp was being installed. In my case there were 2 RCA cables to be plugged in, we used an RCA splitter as that was a shorter plug and then plugged the 2 RCA's into that.

You could also try a 90 degree RCA adapter, just make sure that the plug bit is a fair bit shorter than the other RCA plugs.

HARDS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
thanks mate got some 90 degree RCA adapters and now they fit fine

Accadaccasteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore executive
Awesome op. Followed the instructions got my new stereo installed, but now when I turn the car off there's a hissing sound coming from behind the dash. Pushed the hose onto the back of the aircon dial, was sure it was on tight, could it be anything else I've missed?

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
It could've split in the process.

Accadaccasteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore executive
All good. Was a hose down near the metal rod (hot cold vent control?) had come off, back on now and everything is good.

Smileitsnotaford

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6
Does anyone know the dimensions of the stereo space? I know its single din but how deep is it and are there any weird protrusions? I live rural and I don't want to find out halfway through that the stereo I bought isn't gonna fit.

mikefch9

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 litre calais
This may not be in exactly the right place but regarding installing a clarion stereo in a VN commodore. Does anyone know what is directly behind the dash black plastic firewall directly behind where the back of a stereo installation would be. The Single din clarion stereo that I am installing is too long to fit nicely in the size where the OEM stereo fits. There is an GPS aerial connected to the rear of the stereo that sticks out approx 15mil.

I know behind the black plastic somewhere is the evaporator. Is the evaporator directly up hard against the black plastic. Would the evaporator be punctured by drilling or burning a 10mil diameter hole behind the stereo to accommodate the extra length of the GPS arial. Talked to Tonkins car audio here in Adelaide they said they just leave the stereo sticking out of the dash that much further IMO that would be a cheap way to negate the problem. Any help appreciated.

Jonnythe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Hi guys I need help I've trying to wire up a fairly new stereo into my vn commodore I've done the colour combos and I had it working perfectly earlier and it randomly stopped I've checked the main fuses and I can still get it to light up but don't display anything on the screen any ideas.

I want to try get it fixed soon thanks heaps :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hi guys I need help I've trying to wire up a fairly new stereo into my vn commodore I've done the colour combos and I had it working perfectly earlier and it randomly stopped I've checked the main fuses and I can still get it to light up but don't display anything on the screen any ideas.

I want to try get it fixed soon thanks heaps :)

You broke it.