Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a Stereo into a VN - VS

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
the whole unit has to be unclipped...it doesn't slide anywhere....prise out all the clips and then LIFT it over the shifter.

cducktv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pack series 1
Help regarding the wiring of a head unit into a VS commodore

Hi all,
Just need a bit of help concerning the wiring when installing a new head unit in my VS commodore. My new head unit's wires are all accounted for (accesory, battery etc) however i have some wires in the old head unit that i have no idea where they go. Using the wiring chart posted at the start of this thread the wires that i have conected up are all the speakers, the accessory, the ground and the constant 12V. That takes up all the wires that came with my old head unit however i still have the battery and the dimmer with no where to put them in the new head unit. Am i supposed to double up some of the wires somewhere along the line? Any help regarding the wiring would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Aza.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ahh... if your new head unit doesn't support a dimmer, then just tie up that wire and leave it in there :) Some head units do, some don't. My old Alpine head unit had no support for it.

And I'm not sure what you mean by a battery wire... but I suspect that you only require one of your two 12v/battery wires. Sounds like one is a direct link to the battery (the way I have my UHF set up) and the other is an accessory power line, which is only live when you turn the key. If that's the case, use the one you want, and tie up the other.

Either that, or I've completely misread you :D What colour is this 12v wire, and what colour is the Battery wire?

cducktv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pack series 1
Cheers mate, appreciate the help alot. On taking out the unit and having a closer look i see tht there is only the constant 12v rather thn the battery (i assume theyre the same thing) so it connected up perfectly.

Thanks again, Aza.

vprs08

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 1990
i am trying to install a kenwood in my vn calais 1990 and i cant find which one is the ignition wire

please if any one could help

Lubey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
hey im still having problems i put everything back together but my air condition vents wont change from being on your feet im guessing it has something to do with that hose could someone please help

cheers

QU1NO

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl, berlina
disconnect heater control rod next to where your left ankle would sit on drivers side , little white clip on swing arm
drop panel below steering column ,3 clips twist 90 degrees
3 screws down driver side of dash facia
drop glove box 1 clip in box at rear right , slide clip out towards passenger side
3 screws down passenger side of dash facia
remove ashtray
remove panel around shifter clipped in only and slide back
3 screws along bottom of center facia panel
unclip facia panel carefully
Unplug the LED for immobiliser (this sux)
4 screw hold dash facia and 1 in AC controls
2 plugs in rear of AC controls + 1 hose cluster
undo 2 Large chrome screws going straight down and console will drop
remove dash facia
2 screws holding deck in

Orange = constant 12V
yellow = accesories
Black = earth
Brown/white = illumination
yellow/red = elec aerial
dark green & light green = front right (DG-)
tan & grey = front left (G-)
dark/black & blue red = rear right (DB-)
brown/black & yellow/blue = rear left (YB-)

There is 3 screws holding the brackets to the deck , if you drill a new hole between the 2 screws that are towards the front of the bracket it will line up with most after market decks and will screw straight in and look stock again.
Need to drill on the white dots.
421452_280_full.jpg

({ the illumination ?? does anyone know what i connect that too..... yes i am a noOb too this })

redvsberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series II berlina
People make me angry you need to solder and tape all connection

maltesemarauder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS, VK
I have disconnected the original tape deck from my VS Berlina. All the coloured wires are disconnected but I have one thick dark blue wire that has no visible connections on it running from the back of the tape deck toinside the console. It has no visible connections and is just solid wire from within the deck to within the console, it disappears behind the glove box. Does ayone know what it is for? It is seperated from the coloured wires.

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
when i done mine, i just got a plug to suit the holden plug and matched the wires from the plug the pioneer wires. cost 10 bucks and took around 10 mins to do ahah, works a treat :)